WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Just out of curiosity, what colour is he painting the fence? Did he give you any say in it? Will it match the rest of your fencing? If not, you still have time for "a chat" ;) The last thing you want is for it to look totally out of place with your other fencing because then *you* will have all of yours to do! :heehee:

2. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    The whole fence is new so there should be no problem with co-ordination. I'm sure it will come up when the time comes. The fence on the opposite side is chainlink and the back fence will more or less obscured by buildings and trees. If all goes to plan, this new fence should be mostly obscured with plants.

Its good to have a genuine neighbour. He has desposed of rubbish for me before. When he disposed of the old fence panels (technically they were my fence panels) he also disposed of what was left of my garden waste. I found the pile had gone when I got home. I was chuffed to bits.

I have another neighbour who is a landscaper. About 10 years he built me a rockery.

001 - Copy (2).JPG

Last summer I had to have a change around. The area was flattened and the trees removed. I then had a large pile of rocks that I didn't know what to do with. The big ones were far too heavy for me to move.

A few weeks ago I contacted the same chap to see if he could reuse them. That would at least get them out of the way. He said he would gladly take them back.

Greenhouse damage. Jan 18.jpeg

The smaller rocks started off in a nice neat pile but over time had merged slightly with the other rubble, most of which came out of the old fireplace. I thought rubble would be something a landscaper could use as hardcore. I told him he could help himself to as much as he wanted. He agreed. I was hoping that was job done. In reality he took the rocks and left everything else. I was disappointed. My wife said I was niaive to expect any other. It just goes to show. You know who your friends are.

So, yes I will wait patiently. I just have to keep things ticking over so my wife can have something that resembles a garden while I'm busy restructuring everything else. At the moment there is bare soil every where.

My priority job when the weather settles will be to paint the shed. Then I can trellis it and plant out in front of it. Planting out will also free some pots so I can use them again.

Anyway, sorry, I didn't mean to write an essay.

:coffee:

G.

• Like Like x 6
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      As far as I can see, you are making progress and you have lots of good ideas. One thing at a time....painting the shed is another step; the trellis yet another. Planting it even better. As I said, all progress. Just enjoy the process Gary :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,896
        Had a sowing marathon this afternoon - tomatoes - cucumber - cucamelon - melons and lots of various annuals :).
        Been out and removed the buckets/pots off some plants, its been raining so nearly all the snow gone. Repotted the african queen lily's and give a few plants a bit of water in the GH, its been quite warm in the GH today. Looks like the snow protected the plants what were already showing signs of growth from damaging cold temperatures.

• Like Like x 5
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +31,326
          I have been setting up capillary watering in my 6x8 greenhouse. This way I can walk away for a day or so and the plants will draw their own water.
          Capillary GH 2018 (5).JPG Capillary GH 2018 (1).JPG
          I used 1020 trays as water receptacles and realise that they are too big so will be swapping some of them out today.

I'm running the gas heater in the greenhouse because the night time lows will still be below freezing for at least another month or so.

Those are hot pepper plants. I also moved all of my hanging planters out there so that their seedlings can enjoy the lovely sunshine too.

I've also gotten the wiring and timers set up for the dc ceiling fans. They mix the air every hour by day using power directly from my solar panels and at night from the solar power stored in the batteries I have hooked up in my cellar.

All fun :)

• Like Like x 11
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,248
            Potted my saved trailing Begonia corms today. Got them in my office nice and warm until they show. I can move them out to the GH then . I'll be potting up my Canna rhizomes end of next week , again bringing them into the house for a month for warmth . This is when room gets very very tight ! But the new season is getting under way now :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 11
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,838
              I had another amble around the garden seeing what "getting ready for Spring" jobs I could add to the already long growing list. It was a dull, dry, but mild [49f] day so I took my time and it was a relief not to face that bone chilling wind that we've had for the last few days. I've been meaning to check up specifically on all of the shrubs and was relieved to find that my Bottlebrush Shrub [Callistemon] had survived the -10C/-6C that we've suffered. I was worried about it as it is in a border at the bottom of the garden close to the Wildlife pond and that could have been a Frost Trap, but I think the cold air had rolled on through the Jasmine Hedge that lines the border and pond and into the Wildlife area.
              Most of the borders need another:wallbanging: tidy up to remove all the Winter debris, leaves and stems that have fallen since the last tidy up and it lifted my spirits to see the thousands of shoots pushing up through the soil undeterred by the cold weather. The 30 year old Choisya Sundance I'd given a light prune last year has grown back strongly in a direction I didn't want it to so covering a part of the East Border that I have plans for so that will need several large boughs removing.
              Along one the West side of the Wildlife pond is a 20' long bank which has about 11 or so Climbing Roses of different varieties all planted against a substantial 10' high Trellis that I made as the Plant Nursery made ones don't last long and are too weak to take the full weight of the roses. I'd placed several 8' long 2" x 4" pieces of timber into the bank and at an angle against the Trellis as a brace against any storm force winds. On inspecting the Trellis I saw that one of the braces had slipped off and needed putting back into position but I'll need to do that wearing wellies and a heavy coat to protect me from the thorns of the many stems I'll have to poke my hand through.
              Checking the containers I found a Prunus Kojo-no-mai in a large heavy pot that I'd hid out of the cold winds amongst a Osmanthus and Pampas Grass so, since it's now milder, I've pulled it out into the open. It's got buds on it so it won't be long before it'll be flowering and it does give such a beautiful display so putting it in a sheltered area has paid off.
              Tomorrow is supposed to be a mild day so, as I'm not at work, I'll grab a sack, trowel, hoe and secateures, put on my wellies, a warm coat, gloves and a mug of Tea at the ready, and start shortening the List!!:snorky::coffee:

• Like Like x 9
              • Agree Agree x 1
                Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2018
              • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
                Ratings:
                +6,133
                All growing well in the garden.:dbgrtmb: As you say its sooo heart lifting to see:imphrt:
                Seems like we both have the same plan for tomorrow RMandi - well mine will be weather permitting of course as im a weather wuss :heehee:

• Like Like x 5
                • Funny Funny x 3
                • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                  Ratings:
                  +6,899
                  Yesterday was :rain: and :cloudy: and windy. Quite cold. Today was just :rain:. No gardening done either day. Had a wander around whilst feeding birds, which only served to make me feel even more frustrated as there is so much to do.

New pond should be arriving tomorrow - preformed bought on Ebay. I am now thinking of uses for the bath. Current favourite is a Herb garden. I like the idea of it being a water feature for the patio ( fountain, plants, lights, etc ) but it's a little large.

• Like Like x 11
                  • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                    Ratings:
                    +11,172
                    Been outside this morning and bad head has cleared. Nice and sunny too!

Hellebores are looking fab compared to how bad they looked from the snow.

Potted on a bonus 12 alchemilla mollis which i was resent after complaining (i wasnt expecting them as id had a refund!) got them a few months ago actually but they got shoved in the shed. They had fab root systems on them and were thriving.

• Like Like x 6
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Took cuttings of sunpatiens, potted on felicia amelloides (cuttings last autumn) and planted out a couple of primroses.
                      10 degrees and might get to 12 later :)
                      Enjoy your day ARMANDII shortening that list !

• Like Like x 5
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,838
                        :love30::thumbsup::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                          Ratings:
                          +4,413
                          Still too wet to do anything, took the two tree azaleas and the magnolia out of the shed where I put them when I knew it was going to freeze.

Netted two pairs of frogs who were "at it," at the bottom of the koi pool and returned them to their own pond.
                          Some over-winter in the pool hiding in the folds of the liner, but return to their frog pool in the Spring. There had been some in there a couple of weeks ago. They aren't daft, no chance of them getting trapped under two inches of the ice on top of their own pond. They would have moved to the koi pool as soon as the temperature got near to freezing.

We've still some Wyvale vouchers received as a Christmas present, wasn't worth using them before, we'll probably have a look at a couple of clematis. I'm sure we can find some space for them against one or two fence panels.

• Like Like x 3
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +5,414
                            It’s been a nice day today. This afternoon I had a potter. I planted out the aconites I bought the other day. I didn’t have many so they didn’t go far. I planted a couple of pots full under the big tree amongst the snow drops. The others I planted in their pots in the front yard, just to add a bit of extra spring colour, until I work out where I want them.

I moved some daffodils from the far end of the garden into a position where they can be seen from the house.

I potted up the kniphofia my wife won in the raffle a few weeks ago.

I potted up a climbing rose I bought today for £3 from The Factory Shop.

AE5486B7-8DD2-40FE-AB72-03B9ACB47582.jpeg

I’m not sure whether the pot is big enough or not but it’s the biggest one I’ve got for now. When I start planting up in the summer, more larger pots will become available.

It’s good to get back into it.

:snorky:

G.

• Like Like x 5
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
                              +2,117
                              My little girl picked out a purple rose that looks the same as that a few weeks ago, only it was a shrub version. Looks beautiful.

• Like Like x 3
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.