1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    Yesterday was beautiful, warm, sunny and very calm :yay:. Birdies tweeting all over the garden. I saw the Bluetits checking out one of the nest boxes :hapydancsmil:Planted most of the 50 Snowdrops on the smaller mound next to bath pond. Packed a bit more sand around the edges of the pond and added a layer of gravel and set a few large rockery stones in place. Not sure I like it . Started digging more weeds out of the larger mound next to pond and realised that the Dock roots - of which there are many - go all the way through the mound and into the soil underneath :wallbanging:. I would have to shift a lot of soil off the mound to get at the roots. Hmmm, might have to go another route with the weed removal. I was going to make a start on getting the rabbit runs ready for spring but R turned up with a Subway, so tools were downed in favour of eating :snorky:.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,381
      Done absolutely nothing out there apart from filling up the bird feeders and talking to the plants as I pass by.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Just had a look at it, soils too wet to walk on. @Fat Controller s rhubarb has survived the winter :)

DSCI0001 (40).JPG

• Like Like x 7
        • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
          Ratings:
          +2,618
          A lovely day here at the Suffolk seaside. The ground's really wet but I got out there and did some weeding and clearing the leaves from the borders. It was cheering to see so many plants pushing their heads through the earth. With January nearing the end there are great things to come:)

• Like Like x 7
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            This morning was lovely, so I took a step into the garden to see what was happening. The bulbs I planted in the Autumn are now pushing their way up but still a while to go, yet.

The snowdrops I planted in the green last Spring are in flower but, I remembered why I wanted them in the first place :doh: I recall a tip I read a while back about planting snowdrops in the same containers hostas are planted in as they like similar conditions and it would extend the season of the pot. That is now back on my To Do list when the flowers fade :blue thumb:

The tulip and crocus bulbs, which came in my Christmas stocking and were potted up in a container, have now been put outside.

Noticed the Dracunculus is poking through the soil, so repositioned a tall obelisk over that patch; it will act as a reminder not to disturb that part of ground and will keep the plant supported when it is in all its glory :heehee: Considering planting my fatsia near to it because I think the two would compliment one another? Plus, I've recently bought a canna which I'd also like to put in that area, most likely in a pot though. The Fatsia is in a large pot and would need a large hole - which in turn means moving the plants already there and I'm not sure where they would go :scratch: More thought needed. :)

I have a couple of varieties of sunflower which I want to grow this year. One of which is Russian Giant and I know from experience that they benefit from a bit of support. I'd like them to go behind the trellis which separates the garden/chicken area. When fully grown, they would be peeking out over the top of the trellis and it would make a lovely display. The issue is the chooks will attack/destroy them. I've moved a couple of tall pots where I'd like them to go, but the chooks would simply hop onto the pots and do what hens do: scratch, nibble, destroy! :chicken: More thought needed there too :heehee:

Checked the rose I transplanted back in the Autumn, "Queen Elizabeth". There was a moment of hit or miss with it and one piece of advice on here suggested cutting it right down. I did that. Happy to report there is new growth showing :phew: :blue thumb: Tidied up some leaves from around it so it can breathe.

It was a pleasant hour or so, just pottering, taking mental notes and enjoying the moment. :)

• Like Like x 10
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Made a load more cacti pots and took some more cuttings :)

Wonder if Woo can spot the odd one out? :snorky:

DSCI0001 (43).JPG

• Like Like x 7
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,836
                I took advantage of an almost, [dare I say it!], Springlike day, [57f], and planted around 50 Cyclamen, of various colours, beneath the Acer Brilliantissimum which already has Hellebores, Ferns, Daffs, Crocus, Geraniums, etc under it. I potted up some Alliums for later planting in the borders, and then cleared a lot dead foliage, stalks at the bottom of the walk around border that were almost obscuring the Snowdrops which are making lovely islands of white telling us Spring might be almost around the corner!! :hapydancsmil: After that I did a check of the Green House and realised I hadn't pruned several large bowls of French Lavender, so I gave them all a haircut while I had the time and actually remembered to do it:scratch::doh:. Then I sat with a mug of Tea:coffee: in the Arbour trying to get a good idea of what is pushing out of the soil, what needs cutting back, with Jenny [the Cat:cat-kittyandsmiley:] , while my other cat [Sally] lay fast asleep in front of the fire in the Lounge.:snorky:

• Like Like x 7
                • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6,948
                  Cleaned out the pond today ,cut all the old water Lilly leaves off ,replanted the lilies ,removed all the sludge from the bottom of the pond ,found 14 fry (baby fish) and at least 6 frogs ,removed a quantity of oxygenates
                  The fish are wide awake so gave them a feed ,they were calm and happy.
                  A beautiful sunny day and quite mild.
                  Good job done

• Like Like x 8
                  • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
                    Ratings:
                    +6,133
                    :goodpost:(S)
                    Sooooo lovely reading all the jobs that the GC members have achieved over the weekend :thumbsup: - WELL ive dun nuffink - :heehee: couldn't even see me garden for the heavy mist and hill fog not to mention drizzle
                    so im asking if there's an app :dunno: Funny-Winter-Quotes-and-Sayings-2.jpg :heehee:

• Like Like x 3
                    • Funny Funny x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 3
                    • Creative Creative x 1
                    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      I'll send you one in the post, BeeHappy, but it probably won't reach you until the 20th March:dunno::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 4
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
                        Ratings:
                        +6,133
                        Typical :whistle: and ya call yrself a friend RMANDI LOL :heehee: reminds me of this

Funny-winter-cartoons1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                          Ratings:
                          +6,899
                          Dug a few more weeds out of the large mound next to the bath pond - given up trying to remove the Docks, I might have to resort to drastic measures to deal with them :snorky:. Whilst digging the weeds a huge Bumblebee flew past me. Very surprised to see it in January. There is nothing in my garden apart from a few, very small clumps of Snowdrops so it wouldn't have found anything to eat :sad: Some of the Daffodils are just coming into bud, but most of them are still just green shoots.

I made a small, softwood log pile, which I partially buried in the ground and then covered it with bark chippings. Had a wander about trying to decide where to dig my Toad Abode. Also deciding where to start my second compost heap.

I went to hardware store and bought a new pair of secateurs and a pruning saw ( I broke the last ones ). Also slid two trays of Tete a Tete Daffs into my basket. One tray I planted up when I got home, the other I shall do today - depending on the weather :snorky:

• Like Like x 7
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,381
                            I thought about going into the garden to do a bit of work but came to my senses and sat down until I recovered. :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 3
                            • Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 2
                            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                              Ratings:
                              +89,817
                              Good morning I popped down Wilkinson's this morning and purchased these bargains and will pot them up later to day:smile:

P1290714.JPG

• Like Like x 5
                              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                                Ratings:
                                +44,532
                                I use the loo roll method, today sowed 6 cucumber seeds in half a loo roll and Erigeron in a seed tray.

• Like Like x 4
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.