What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK2..

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    You have Robin(s) they are very territorial, i have one who seems to spend most of his day on the fence, I can see him from my chair,bobbing up and down, making the occasional sorte under the feeders.

• Like Like x 2
    • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      No damage after last nights winds, thankfully, just lots of leaves lying around...

Today I dragged the Cannas etc out of the greenhouse again to clean up fallen leaves, chopped back a couple of stems on the Cannas that have now died back and dried. Also took the chance to inspect everything for bugs, nothing found this time and then I insulated all the pots with bubblewrap and fleece, also wrapping some plants in fleece just to be on the safe side as there's a chance of consistant cold weather and frosts from next week..:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +51,808
        I absolutely MUST plant my new rose today, and might lift my dahlias in readiness for putting my tree Lilly bulbs in

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,174
        Very sunny and windy today.

We had gales during the night. The only casualty is our big bird feeder. The wind took it down and some of the feeder perches have been broken off. The 3ft seed feeder lost three perches, the 2ft seed feeder lost two and the small nyjer feeder lost one.

The peanut feeder was badly dented but as it's heavy duty wire I've managed to bend it back into shape without breaking it. I've managed to cobble together the broken ones to make four perches and fixed them back. I'll have to look at my box of broken parts in the shed to see what else I can do.

I've cleared a lot of debris from the trees and picked up loads of windfall apples. The freezer is almost full.

• Like Like x 1
        • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          You have spaces in your freezer :help:, I am still buying for 2, bought a salmon side the other week ,cut it into cutlets and froze, :dunno: I don`t eat fish unless its fried in batter.
          Had a peruse of the garden, no damage that I can see ,must have got away light here,although water pool inside back door,always does that when weather coming from that direction.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Today in the garden, I have built a willow tunnel, connecting the end of the wobbly bridge (part of the lad's play area) to the back door of the willow house.

I must say I'm quite enjoying the process of slowly turning my back garden into an adventure play ground, while still retaining plenty of greenery (hence the extensive use of willow). Its like being a kid again. I don't know who's most enthusiastic about it, me or my son:)

• Like Like x 3
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,808
            Rose now planted, with plenty of pelleted chicken manure in the hole; I also lifted my smaller dahlias and appear to have quite a few decent looking tubers which are now in the greenhouse to dry out.

Do the tubers have to remain in their bunches, or can they be split before starting them off next spring (to get more plants)?

I didn't lift my four big dahlias yet, as they are still have some foliage left to die down.

I also took my baskets into the greenhouse to dry out, and hopefully I'll get similarly decent tubers from my begonias to give me a head start next year :dancy:

EDIT - oh, and I nearly forgot that I finally evicted the chilli plants out of the house as they were dropping leaves all over the place, and were essentially all but dead. Its amazing how much more light we are now getting on the stairs and into the living room now that they are gone.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            Absolutely critical that the tubers are left attached to the central stem. Unlike, say, Potatoes the tubers will not do anything on their own - the new shoots come from the central stem, and the tuber just provides the fuel/energy. (Personally I think its difficult to split a Dahlia, for that reason, although people do / recommend it; I find taking cuttings off new shoots that appear, in early Spring, much easier)

I think worth having one eye on how "wet" the soil is around them this year. Its a combination of Cold and Wet that will cause them to rot, if they are dry then cold is no problem, and if they are sodden then even "not cold" may still be a problem.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,808
            Thanks Kristen - I might well lift the big ones then, as the ground is quite wet; Would there be any harm in cutting the foliage back a bit when I lift them, or do they need to be allowed to die back naturally?

I'm glad I asked about splitting them too, as knowing my luck I'd have killed the lot of them (mind you, they were cheap as chips from Sainsburys at the start of the year, but that isn't really the point)

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Sometimes it is easy to see the different tubers with their individual stems. I gently pull apart and pot in dry compost or wrap in fleece. If only one big stem leave well alone and keep intact.

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +51,808
              Thanks - I'll wait until they dry out a bit, get the remaining soil off them, and will have a look; in fact, I will try and post some photos for further guidance :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,823
              Even though my front garden is like a bog I managed to plant five roses today in the new bed. Eight down, one to go, which I'm still waiting to have delivered.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Although we can grow lot of exotic stuff, Cornwall is not good for roses. So, Sheal, I am envious. I have tried with climbers, ramblers and hybrid t's but they all succumb to black spot

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +53,823
                Know need to be jealous Verdun. I'm yet to find out how they will do. The island has high rainful which promotes disease. I also have sandy soil and I've only ever grown roses on clay before and that was in Essex twenty years ago. Time will tell! :)

• Like Like x 1
                • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +6,626
                  Dug up 2 dahlias that I liked this year. Put them the greenhouse to dry out alittle.
                  Dug the rest up and binned.
                  Cleaned up more leaves for the compost bins.
                  Then rain stopped play again :cry3:

• Like Like x 1
                  Thread Status:
                  Not open for further replies.