What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK3.. 2013

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    General weeding & tidying today :)

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Nice and still ... Spraying the lawn with selective weedkiller, got some bad patches where I sowed last year. Hoping to overseed it soon, but I have a nagging doubt that I am not supposed to do that soon after using selective weedkiller?

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    watered toms and hanging baskets , potted up the Alstromeria "Rock'n Roll" into 5 inch pots not looking that bad now , potted up Jens seed she sent me and managed to raise two plants "Chinese Lantern" only about 6 inches high but has a mini lantern appearing and lots of flowers still blooming planted now in a old clematis pot so the roots will go deep.
    A bit of deadheading , I can't get over how sunny and warm it is here hope the same you , but looks like its going to clear tonight so the temp will drop quickly

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,626
      Loads of dead heading and watering.
      Just sat in the sunshine from 6 till 7 with a nice cold beer absolutely beautiful. Still 20'c here
      Picked a few toms from the GH.
      Oh and took my secateures apart, sharpened and oiled (like new now :))
      Supposed to be even warmer tomorrow 25'c and its the little one first day at big school.
      Hope to get some nice pics of him in the garden in his new uniform:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +51,884
        Mrs C has been in charge of garden duties for a few days, as I have been tied up designing a couple of databases for work (my brain is now mince as a result!) - however, I did some watering this evening and had a wee tour of the estate, and most things are looking just dandy. The one thing that is troubling me is one of the marmande tomato plants in the greenhouse has all but turned its toes up through the course of about a week; it might be blight, it might not, but it is something definitely fungal so it has been evicted and stripped of the few remaining green tomatoes which will hopefully ripen in time, or will end up in chutney.

There are a couple more sickly looking plants (oddly enough, all of those that are looking poorly are the ones that we basically the runts of the litter at the start of the year) - to be fair, I have had so many tomatoes out of the greenhouse this year I am surprised that I am not looking like a tomato, so if they are goners, I cannot complain. The outdoor tomatoes look absolutely fine.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Here's some of the cuttings, which Shiney kindly gave me on 16-June, that are now potted up :)

IMG_1047_ShineyCuttings.jpg

Very pleased with the mist propagation system I have installed as this years Boy's Toys :)
        IMG_6528_MistPropagation.jpg

• Like Like x 6
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,476
          Well, they appear to have been looked after very well :yay: (better than ours :heehee:).

Are the ones in the second photo the ones from the August batch? They look as though they're surviving very well.

• Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,067
          I have been clearing yet another area to be planted up. I've also put some winter greens in the bed in the polytunnel, potted up various young plants and watered all the succulents in the cactarium. :)

• shiney

Ratings:
          +122,476
          @Roy this was todays pre-sunrise bonfire

P1180066.jpg

I then set the sprinkler on some of the veggies, struggled to dig up a load of crocosmia, cut down a giant branch that had broken on the Williams pear tree and took off about 100lb of pears, picked beans and blackberries, mowed three lawns - and collapsed in the armchair with a cuppa :coffee:

• Like Like x 2
          • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,915
            have the guinea pig run/hutch a fresh coat of paint....then realised i'd used the wrong bloody paint :gaah:sod it! im not doing it all over again now :doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +122,476
              Have the guinea pigs complained? :scratch:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,668
                No, photo was the earlier batch ... I thought "sad-enough" to only photograph one batch of cuttings :heehee:

Of the earlier ones (I'm guessing 600-ish?) I probably threw away 10 "sticks" that hadn't made it. Not done Euonymous before, but given that I haven't had to look after them at all, I'm well chuffed with the new Mist Bench.

The later ones look fine, bar a few pots that were not done for several days because we had unexpected family commitments. Be interesting to see how they turn out [they are under Mist] as although about half the leaves have shrivelled they don't look dead ... yet. I'll report back on that later.

I am also now using Clonex, rather than Hormone Rooting Powder. No particular reason except that I couldn't figure out a way to determine how old the stock [of Hormone Rooting Powder] was in the local shed (and my understanding is that the shelf life is finite), so I have been buying Clonex mail order instead. I get plenty of cuttings from a little pot of the stuff, but it does get used up ... whereas a pot of Powder lasts forever (such a tiny amount is used on each cutting) such that I was probably using it well beyond its useful lifetime.

If I do another large batch (perhaps more Euonymous next year ?!!) I would like to compare:
                • Hormone powder / Clonex
                • MPC + 50% of Sand vs. 50% of Perlite vs. 100% Perlite
                • Mist vs. No mist (perhaps vs. plastic bag over the top and out of direct sun)

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,915
                yes! the whole lot of them are waving their little fists at me in annoyance as we speak:rofllol:

we used to have most of the stuff in the garden painted a nice kinda honey colour (shed, hutches, runs, bench, bird table ect) but last year we fancied a change so painted all a rich brown so everything matched the fences/deck nicely....well guess what paint i used!:wallbanging: it does look nice the honey colour but Oh My Goodness does it stand out like a sore thumb :gaah:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  Yesterday I: potted on/up (is that the right term? :dunno:) a couple of plants acquired at Shineyland; collected seed; mowed the lawn; gave my young fruit trees in the copse a very large glug of water (lost two this year though :( ) and put some of the grass clippings around their base - but not touching the stems - to act as a mulch; cast, with careless abandon, some of the nigella seeds I had harvested into the copse area; staked and trimmed the volunteer tomatoes in the copse (one is 6' tall! :snork: ).

Neighbour had a gardener in and some of the shrub trimmings (naturally) fell into my garden. He popped his head over the fence to say he would come round later to pick them up, but I declined his kind offer because ... I salvaged a couple to try and make new plants from them :redface: Nothing ventured, nothing gained :heehee:

Made a start on a hedgehog house and still salvaging items for my bug station. A good day it was too :ccheers:

• Like Like x 4
                  • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                    +12,668
                    Dunno if it is right? but I would say "Potted up" for a rooted cutting, or a seedling, going into its first pot, and "potted on" a plant going from one pot to a larger size.

You'll be needing a mist propagating bench ... and a production line! next :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    Thread Status:
                    Not open for further replies.