What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK3.. 2013

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,897
    My intentions started of well today but 20 minutes into digging the new bed an SOS came from my daughter. It's not to be finished and the rain is due tomorrow. :doh:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Planted the Cardiocrinum giganteum bulbs I got from Anglia Bulbs. They were massive, and I really should have taken a picture.

Never really sure whether massive bulbs on-point-of-flowering is a good idea, whether they will put down enough root to really flower well, perhaps I would be better off with bulbs one-year-off-flowering so they have time to establish.

• Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Re your concern about having bought large bulbs. Hmm maybe better to have bought slightly smaller as they do need huge amounts of water to support the enormous flower and caber like stem. Despite it being freezing here and being in Scotland everything is later than where you are, mine are already starting into growth, so the sooner you can plant the better. I have moved fairly large bulbs which recoverd fine, but not ones due to flower.Just in case you haven't grown Cardiocrinun Giganteum before, a word of warning, they are a magnet for slugs. I don't normally have a huge slug problem (did last year because it never stopped raining) however even in dry years my Cardicrinums have been attacked. They are the only things in my garden which do get slug bait round them. As far as slugs are concerned Hostas aren't nearly as tempting. The good news is that after the inital purchase many years ago I have never had to buy bulbs again as once the bulb has flowered you'll normally get at least 2, maybe more bulbils which you just split up and replant. Bulbils usually take about 3 to 5 years to flower again so I'm now at the stage where I have some flowering every year. They really like being fed with my constant supply of horse byproduct which I put down to why I've had good results. Try if you can to plant where the wind can't do too much damage as the flowers can get bruised and discolour. They certainly are very different and good fun to see flowering for the 1st time.

• Like Like x 1
      • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
        Ratings:
        +641
        Finally finished laying 22yds of lawn now to start on the borders and moving plants,can't believe how dry the top few inches of soil are,must be the wind.Starting to get a bit of a rush on now trying to catch up.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          Thanks Silu. I'm good on most of the points you raised:

"maybe better to have bought slightly smaller"

Dunno if they are sold? marketing department probably don't like advertising "Guaranteed NON-flowering bulbs" :) I'm growing some from seed, so will have plenty in years to come, plus the bulbils from these, once flowered. I'm happy to buy monster bulbs, annually, until my Juniors are ready in their own right.

"they do need huge amounts of water"

Drip Irrigation system available in that part of the garden :) I've made a note to put a nozzle by them, thanks.

"the sooner you can plant the better"

Done! Vendor said that hers had grown 3" the previous week, and that was in the grip of the Easterlies from the Russian Bear here in East Anglia ...

"they are a magnet for slugs"

Didn't know that, ta. As luck would have it they are planted nearest bed to where the chicken coup is. They range freely and it is rare to see a slug in their domain :) (I've never put slug pellets down where the chickens roam, I guess the two are incompatible, but I could put a slug-pub there?)

"They really like being fed with my constant supply of horse byproduct"

Heavy mulch of rotted manure on that bed, and I back-filled the planting holes with pure compost-heap media. What are they after in the Manure? If its mostly Nitrogen I could supply that on my evening ramble round the garden?

"Try if you can to plant where the wind can't do too much damage"

Pleased to say I'm OK on that front too. They are in my Exotic garden which is very sheltered - otherwise the Banana leaves would be cut to shreds. I stuck a Bamboo cane in the planting hole so as not to skewer any roots later on; dunno if Cardiocrinums need staking, but I thought they might?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          Us too, although it rained here last night. We've had continuous North and Easterlies since 17th March, but also no rain. 5mm last night, less than 0.5mm on a few days a fortnight ago, but last rain was 14th-17th March (4, 2, 4, 1mm). Wind has averaged over 1m/s since 11 march, with plenty of days over 2m/s and several 3 or 4 m/s here. Definitely both Dry and Drying!

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Well you are very organised! Not sure if it's the mulch effect or Nitrogen that they seem to thrive on. Neighbour tried growing them without any mulch /mare's best and they did'nt do well/grew 1/2 the size in comparison to mine. I absolutely hate staking anything (lazy!) but to be honest mine haven't needed to be as the stems of the flowers are massive. A couple did look slightly Leaning Tower of Pizaish after really stong gales but if yours are in a sheltered spot I wouldn't imagine the need.Been there and bought the tee shirt with skewering bulbs/damaging roots when adding a bamboo cane later. There is nothing quite like the sound of sticking a cane right through a favourite bulb!!!! Totally agree re chooks and slug bait, these bulbs are the only thing I do use bait around as they'd be munched to nothing if I didn't.I've even a couple if bulbs which I lifted to give to a freind in the greenhouse which are well into growth and they've got muched already while my back was turned! Maybe wait and see if the leaves start getting holes in them and if yes then resort to a trap. Hope yours do well they certainly make a huge statement, I rather like the leaves so not so bad having to wait for flowers.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          I figured easy enough to pull it out if turns out not to be required :)

• Dorothy

Dorothy Gardener

Ratings:
          +122
          Hi well not been on for a few days but since then I've managed to plant out agapanthas, cordylines, crocosomias and loads of other plants, weeded the garden and get my tree ferns out which have been taking loads of space in the conservatory :) I haven't planted them yet though, saving that for the weekend. Also had to give everything a good water because the garden was so dry :dancy:

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +122,476
            Our garden is now enjoying some steady rain which will stop me working outside. The last few days have been busy out there and yesterday we got a lot of work done.

Lots of weeding got done (really needs it), dug up quite a few plants, split them and potted them up, and did a load more pressure hosing.

• Like Like x 3
            • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
              "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
              Ratings:
              +4,445
              sent an email to T&M, explaining my dismay, they had arrived earlier than i thought they would, they are sending me a new pack of 10, :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 3
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,838
                Did nothing in the garden today as I was playing Taxi for my sister!:dunno::snork:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +122,476
                  I got fed up waiting for the rain to stop so went out and continued with the pressure hosing for a while.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  I've just come in for a break (left Mr Mum outside "shredding" :heehee: )

I've just been in amongst the shrub border at the front left hand side of my property with a pair of secateurs and some energy to burn. Haven't photographed the result (yet!) but this is what I have been dealing with:

CIMG0001.JPG

Erm ... looks nothing like that now :redface: (that was taken a couple of weeks ago). Think it's safe to say ... I'd best not take up hairdresssing :whistle:

• Like Like x 5
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    Ok, sneaked out to get a "current" picture ...

CIMG0001.JPG CIMG0002.JPG CIMG0004.JPG

Behind all of that, I have discovered: 2 holly beginning to grow and a lovely clump of snowdrops! Who knew!!?? :roflol:

I shall leave the leaves there as a 'mulch' and see if I've killed everything or if I've given it a new lease of life. Then I shall decide in the Autumn quite what to do with it.

• Like Like x 6
                    Thread Status:
                    Not open for further replies.