What Jobs Are We Doing in the Garden Today... MK3.. 2013

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Don't suppose you managed to get anyone to wander round with you? :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi All

Not too long to relax... but I will squeeze it in today :ccheers:

Re-potted the bay trees finally :blue thumb: into new huge planters , they look like slate and match the ones with the two ( acers in I re-potted before they came into leaf) , I find it interesting by just adding a couple of " Modern Planters" can add a bit of sophistication and they really compliment the plants growing in them as well . I used JohnInnes no 3 , a guy I work with asked me about potting up a shrub he went to the garden centre and asked for a bag of " John Inman " Imm free !!! , :lunapic 130165696578242 5::lunapic 130165696578242 5: he wondered why the lady was laughing , I explained what he should of asked for !!!

Hanging baskets now out and staying out , just dont have the space in the greenhouse , all bedding has been planted as well , I would've liked them to stay another week but they were ready to plant so they will just have to get on with it.... so thats me done for now apart from watering plants later on this evening .

Spruce

• Like Like x 3
      • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
        Ratings:
        +3,267
        Myself and the oldest little un made the hanging baskets, cut the lawn, and planted the dahlias I've grown from bulbs. Also planted some coleus and lobelia.

• Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Today, I took a box (or two) of plants and then wandered around popping into one bed, then changed my mind, and sat them in another bed. Thought about it some more :scratch: then re-arranged them to another bed, or three. Had another thunk :dunno: sat some here, some there, some more 'over' there and decided ... I need to do a Google :redface: or four before I find just the *right* spot for each.

Tomorrow ... it's Kent Garden Show ... :yes: ... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear: methinks Mr Mum is on the verge of considering divorce at this rate :heehee: (Must be so hard feeling jealous of green things wot sprout fings :heehee: )

• Like Like x 3
          • Funny Funny x 3
          • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
            Ratings:
            +6,626
            Finished the other 2 front beds today.
            Just got 3 planters to do and 150 bedding for the back garden borders
            Got to dig all the wall flowers out tomorrow (they have just started to look nice too :snork: )

• Like Like x 3
            • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,087
              What to do today - dunno where to start :dunno:

I need to paint more fence, move lots of large planters about, pot up some Rhodos, cut up loads of wood from the defunct pergola and take it to the recycling centre). Not to mention take down the last of the metal poles from the pergola, dig over the north facing border with lots of compost, etc etc etc (ad infinitum). Doubt very much I'll get it done this week, let alone today!

• Like Like x 1
              • Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,410
                WEll I finished the hard landscaping of mums garden yes 9 bags of gravel and three of sand did it. Going back to bed now - lol.

• Like Like x 2
                • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
                  "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
                  Ratings:
                  +4,445
                  Considering planting dahlias into positions, been hardening off for 2 weeks, then will get watered in by the expected ,around noon ,rain :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                  • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,615
                    Put out some of the summer bedding plants - the spring bedding plants are still going strong:
                    [​IMG]
                    --

• Like Like x 2
                    • sumbody

sumbody Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +303
                      Yesterday I carried on general tidying up - Mr S cut the grass - I strimmed the edges - he bought out his chillies from the greenhouse for a bit of fresh air (went back in overnight) - found a few pots that had been forgotten - different Lavender - not looking great - planning on taking a few cuttings and maybe planting them deep - depending on how they look after their haircut. Likewise some bushy/twiggy thyme.

My rhodie is looking very bald (although flowering) - has never looked good - was here when I moved in 30 years ago - I dug it up and potted in ericaceous earth - but it has never fared well - going to try cuttings again (having failed every time before).

Won't be doing too much today - off to the pub - sister's b'day :ccheers:

S

• Like Like x 2
                      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,087
                        What position is your Rhodie in sumbody? Perhaps if you could post a pic?

Walked the mutts then spent the last couple of hours sawing up what was left of the pergola and cutting up at least a dozen large boxes (which all my new plants/containers came in), then took the lot to the tip. Got back and realised that I had missed a few boxes [​IMG] but cut those up small and put them in the recycling bin. I have reclaimed my drive* [​IMG] Now I can put more plants on it [​IMG] No, not new ones, some of the others which are blocking the top and bottom patios, so the dogs won't feel like they are walking through a jungle any more.

* Not the front part of the drive, but the main part of the drive which runs from the double gates where the front of the house is right along to the back of the house.

I have left the metal poles which held up the pergola on the front drive, so hopefully they will grow legs and walk into the back of a passing truck, like anything metal left out front usually does.

• Like Like x 1
                        • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
                          Ratings:
                          +6,626
                          Well that's all 150 bedding plants in the borders (still some room if I'm tempted to buy more)
                          3 wooden planters on the front garden done
                          All the toms in there final pots in the GH.
                          Potted on the cannas again to see what difference it makes keeping the in GH for a couple of extra weeks (some planted out yesterday)
                          Planted up a cucumber and pepper, got to get some more tomorrow maybe :snork:
                          Planted some spring onions between the bedding (no space anywhere :snork: )
                          All this done while mrs Mowgley was sat on patio sipping rose!

• Like Like x 4
                          • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +2,946
                            Went out for lunch with some friend, but when we got back I cut front and rear lawns and watered all the plants in the blow away and cold frames.

Rusty

• Like Like x 2
                            • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                              Ratings:
                              +51,884
                              Well, I decided that the time had come to get the back border sorted out for once and for all.

Chatting to a neighbour recently, I learned a bit about our house - the tenants before us were relatively short term (couple of years) and prior to that the house was owned pretty much since it was built by a couple, the gentleman of which was an avid gardener until his health failed, and it is noticeable that the garden has been cared for at some point in the past; the lady of the house was none other than Winston Churchill's grand-daughter!

I am told that once his health failed, and he then passed, her health followed quite quickly after, and after her passing the house was sold onto the last owners who spent a small fortune gutting the interior totally, and then they rented it out until they ended up getting divorced which forced the sale of the house to our current landlady - - all the while though, the garden was neglected, hence the work that I will have to plod through to try and get it up to scratch.

Anyway, before you all fall asleep, I started with this first thing this morning:

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

And ended up with this by this afternoon:

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

The original plan was to leave the slab in the middle (no idea why I thought that), but looking at it now, it will have to go. I also need to tame the two lavateras into submission a bit (good excuse to take some cuttings?)

Back in a min with some more.....

• Like Like x 6
                              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                                Ratings:
                                +51,884
                                I also dug out the border under the thieves conifers in the hope that I might be able to persuade some climbing nasturtiums to grow there and crawl up the conifers and give a wee splash of colour.

Then I cut the grass, cleaned the car, and after picking Mrs C up from her work, I went back out and watered everything; things in the greenhouse are moving along, and hopefully very soon will be moving out!

Remember those petunias that I was worrying about?

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

Still not overly sure how my passiflora is doing - but maybe I am expecting too much too soon? The tomato next door to it thankfully looks happier.

IMAG0275.jpg

Peas and beans have started germinating (albeit shoved in where I can find a wee bit of space!)
                                IMAG0276.jpg

And my nicotiana are looking happy also:

IMAG0277.jpg

Interestingly, one of them appears to have variegated leaves??

IMAG0278.jpg

• Like Like x 9
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.