What jobs are we doing today in the garden ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lolimac, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Cut the grass again!!, think I've cut it more than last the whole of last year already :rolleyespink: ; as last year was so dry it didn't grow at all..

2. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    Planted out tomatoes and squash over the weekend. Expecting hail so covered them up this morning. I'm glad it's started to rain as I was reluctantly planning to turn over the compost bins, not a job my back enjoys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      The weather stopped play here again. Wind and hailstones, so another day abandoned in the garden. My young Ipomoea plants are looking sad in the greenhouse but it's to cold to bring them out yet. :sad:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +29,477
      Weeded the veg plot, sowed some more Spring Onions and fed the Pelargoniums, Fuchsias etc.
      Keeping toms and bedding in as there could be a frost here tonight possibly down to 3c.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,341
      Planted out another two courgettes, potted up two begonias and placed in GH
      General watering duties
      Then went to daughter no1 and jet washed the decking, whilst accountant hubby who has not got the time, watched eagle eyed, and offered advice whilst drinking coffee, commented on the amount of pressure I was using, and when would I be back as he was not keen on leaving it un oiled for more than 24hrs (The Jet black slippery decking had nothing done for three years and it was actually a nice light pine colour)
      Daughter was fine, managing the babies and supplying tea and biccies, Hubby asked if she had nothing to do could she do etc etc

Went on to daughter number 2, to Jet wash the flagstone patio, much bigger job
      Started with coffee and biscuits,
      The black patio was as it turned out red, yellow and green slabs :-)

More tea/coffee and biscuits, and could I leave some left to do as they want a go themselves. Hubby Leading fireman and on watch, presently at an RTA on the Motorway

Got back home to find someone parked in my drive, so I parked up, and inside was one of my wifes friends, so I excused myself to the garden as I was in wellies and gardening order
      Greenhouse duties, one tomato was sort of wilted, so as I was removing the bits between stem and branch, it came out, about four inches down no root just a withered stem, I cut it back to clean stem and stuck it back in about six inches,with plenty of water and this evening it seems to be in good health
      Destroyed the Vetch that was amongst my sweetpea seedlings then called it a day

Jack McH

• Like Like x 5
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        It's a good job you've finished work Jack....you'd never have fitted all that in aswell:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,889
          You beat me to it Lolimac. :) I was about to say, and you thought you'd retired Jack. :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +51,883
            I'm in the LPT 'keep it moving if you can' event :WINK1:

I managed to get started on reclaiming one of the borders from the lawn on Sunday morning - my new Spear & Jackson edging tool got its first outing, and I now realise that it is no wonder I was struggling trying to use just a spade!

Got nothing done since then, as I've been sunk with work (another 14hr day yesterday, and just having a momentary break during another one now) - however, at some point I need to plant out my carrots and beetroot, and absolutely MUST mow the lawn (grass is growing so fast with this rain, I'm beginning to wonder if a couple of sheep might be a sound investment!)

• Like Like x 3
            • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,593
              I'm busy with 3 jobs at the same time .... biggest being a pub that is a total garden refurbishment

received a call a short while back saying all the david austin roses have arrived plus several others

had to stop the other job and rush home .... having a quick coffee then back to work ...

delivery was quick ... plants were ordered on monday afternoon .... will work till late today/night but at least it's not raining

:mad:

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
              Ratings:
              +31,832
              Lined the base of the garage wall with a compost bag, removed soil(a trench worth), sprinkled fertiliser pellets and moisture retaining granules in trench base,planted 20 "Fragrantissima" sweet peas - grown in toilet roll middles. Then put 1/2 bag MCP around them and watered them in. Weeded rest of bed,removed forgetmenots and hand forked bed over. A new brood of baby blackbirds were never more than 2 feet away and ate all the life that had been dossing down over Winter and Spring. I think it's their first day out - so vulnerable today but no cats or dogs here.There is plenty of low Cotoneaster cover to shelter in overnight.Planted out the Allegria dwarf beans(piccies in "Beans" thread) in a container - will keep them inside until the nights warm up a bit. Removed clumps of a dwarf astilbe that has spread too much. 2 or 3 things need potting on and then there are the hanging baskets....... Amazing how you feel more inclined when the sun comes out.

• Like Like x 1
              • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,087
                Sun's out here but I've been in work, then went food shopping, then came home and fed the cats, dogs and birds in that order, then potted up three Fuchsia cuttings and then made myself a sarnie. Last in the pecking order, that's me :cry3:

Grass wants cutting but I don't have the motivation. I'd rather sit here and look at my Rhododendrons flowering (Marcel Menard has just opened his first one).

• Like Like x 2
                • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,593
                  all done for the day ... having a beer now ... David Austin roses are bare root (thought they were in leaf already at this time of the year) ... planted them well though (deep wide holes, rootgrow, plagron bat mix compost, volcanic rock dust, and some worm humus) ... also mowed the lawn (they open tommorow night for the directors/owners and friday for the public) ...

hosepipe is too short, so ended up walking to and fro with a watering bucket (nearest tap is in the back of the pub

• Like Like x 1
                  • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Moved just under a ton of topsoil around the garden.....now i'm far too tired to cook the tea....i feel an Indian coming on:WINK1:

• Like Like x 5
                    • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,978
                      Weeding the wildnernessy (ie neglected :mute: ) back corner of the garden. Hasn't been weeded for a long long time and discovered some what I think are probably Irises which might have a chance at doing something now and Pulmonaria in flower.

• rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,946
                      Made a oblisk, went to the garden center at weekend and saw 1 that gave me the idea for this, but cost £39.99. Cost me £15 and i had material left so i made a trellis.

Trellis.jpg Oblisk.jpg

• Like Like x 8
                      Thread Status:
                      Not open for further replies.