What jobs are we doing today in the garden ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lolimac, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think the holiday did the reverse, Sheal, as I have to fight the impulse to close my eyes while having the mug of tea in the Arbour:snooze: I rang my friend who went to Cuba with me only to have his wife tell me he keeps nodding off!!!! So it's not just me!!!. Lugging the pots around from place to place in the heat was a bit back breaking, but teasing them out of their pots into even bigger pots was awkward and frustrating which made me sweat even more:phew: . The Banana in the really big pot is the one that worries me as it's now so heavy that it's on the limit of my lifting capability.......I guess I'll be using the sack trolley for that in the future.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,830
      9.30pm. Went outside to hose down the patio where I'd been messy working today and it was 21c! Thrush's song is superb tonight and I can hear church bell practice at the lower end of the High Street. This is the first night I have been in the garden at this time so far this year. I have mixed feelings. So happy it's here now for all of us and then again, a bit miffed that all my negative energy consumed too much of me whilst it was grey and dark for days,weeks on end. The evening air smells nice and I feel good ,
      Jenny

• Like Like x 5
      • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
        +31,830
        Don't fight it Armandii - just let it happen. That's what tea, the arbour and life is for - enjoy:imphrt:

• Like Like x 2
        • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,626
          The dahlia cactus and Pom Pom went in today.
          Also about 5 echinacea and 5 rudbeckia dotted them a out in no particular order.
          Brought 2 cucumber plants on the way home, one was standard f1 and the other a lemon cucumber.
          Brought 2 red peppers too.
          Planted 4 toms, 2 peppers and 2 cucumbers into grow bags and 2 toms into tubs.
          Trying at little experiment to see which grows best!
          Just a tray of 24 French marigolds to find a home for now!

• Like Like x 3
          • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,946
            Planted up new raised bed and put some of my bedding in. Tied in my peas, beans and sweet peas. Watered all the rest of the bedding and pots. I also sweated about a stone digging the corner out of my new borders, not the job to do on the hottest day of the year thus far. Watered tons and noticed they are setting fruit :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 2
            • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,087
              Lots to do this weekend - mow lawns (again), dig out new border and clear up the top patio. The slabs were laid directly onto soil and the soil collects in the corners which I then have to dig out each year. I also have to pull up about a gazillion bits of grass where the bird seed is dropping around the place and germinating.

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
              +31,830
              re: bird seed dropping.
              Thel price we have to pay for their songs and visits merleworld.

• Like Like x 2
              • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,593
                planted 10 dryopteris affinis king ferns at 06h30 this morning at the pub .... they arrived yesterday from shady plants, but yesterday was the official opening of the pub, and there were too many people milling around in the garden, so decided to plant them early this morning as I have 2 other big jobs today

still waiting for 35 huechera for the pub, but they are on show at the moment at chelsea, and will only be shipped on monday .... Plantagogo have said that they will give large ones due to the inconvenience

• Like Like x 2
                • Jenny namaste

Ratings:
                  +31,830
                  Gosh, you're an early bird this morning Dim. How did the launch go yesterday? Lovely weather for a stroll round the pub grounds with a glass of something fizzy....

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,593
                  went to collect the ferns yesterday, as did not want to wake the landlady up early .... there were loads of people and a press photographer ... pub looks very good as it is a grade A listing and has been totally revamped/renovated

never popped in for a pint ...was too busy with other things at home and also had to mow a lawn that was 8 inches tall

I'm always up early .... (wake up at 05h00 every morning)

fridays will be a nightmare for the landlady, as I will be mowing the pub lawn every friday morning at 07h30 .... I think that she sleeps till late

:biggrin:

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
                  +31,830
                  I'm an early waker too Dim in Summer, but pretty useless after 11.00pm. The night owl mode is a must for anyone running a pub I think.

• Like Like x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +122,442
                    The last few days have been very hectic in the garden and there are too many things for me to list. There is one time waster that I can mention :heehee:

We were given some empty hanging baskets so Mrs Shiney came up with the good idea of using them to replace our winter baskets with these ones that would be planted with summer plants. A great idea that would save time of having to pull out all the winter plants (mainly pansies) and replant.

So she had the summer baskets growing well in the greenhouse whilst the pansies were doing brilliantly outside. As this weekend is Open Day we decided to do the swap now and, as the pansies are doing so well, the winter baskets have been stood in pots on the patio.

Then came the time to bring out the summer baskets, which Mrs Shiney did, and she also gave me the chains separately! :hate-shocked:

Whoever had given her the baskets had pulled open the links, taken the chains off and then closed the links up again :doh:. It couldn't have been easy for them to do because I had the devil of a job opening them up again and then closing them :sad:.

Then came the easy job of hanging them - until I tried! That was when I found that on all of the 12 chains (4 baskets) someone had removed a number of the bottom links to, obviously, hang their baskets higher. They had put the links back on - but upside down!!:thud: Back to the drawing board :cry3:

Some time later - links removed and put on the right way up - I was ready to hang them again. Time to celebrate? Not really. That was when I found that all four sets of chains had a different number of links (14, 15 and 16) on each of their three chains :wallbanging:

So I removed one link from the 16 and put it on the 14 - for each set. Success at last :hapydancsmil:

Moral - check chains thoroughly and count links.

Mrs Shiney wouldn't tell me who gave us the baskets :heehee:

• Like Like x 3
                    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      I know that basket/chain thing only too well Shiney...quite frustrating....especially when you think your arms will drop off:biggrin:

Lots of watering this morning and probably quite a bit of starring:heehee:

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +865
                      :cry3: :cry3: Two days off - pretty much the last I'm allowed until the end of September. Glorious weather and I could be doing sooo much, instead, I'm stuck indoors whilst 'the men' empty and demolish the crumbling 10' x 14' shed. And I've seriously got the 'ump!

• Like Like x 1
                      • Sparra

Sparra Gardener

Mum
                        Ratings:
                        +240
                        washed pots and trays, bit of weeding, then I noticed more Lilly beetles, this is not funny now :th scifD36: this is war :paladin:

• Like Like x 1
                        Thread Status:
                        Not open for further replies.