What on earth is happening to my lemon tree?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by greengiant, Jun 8, 2008.

1. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've had a snoop around the link that I found (above) and it points pretty strongly that my problem may lie with salt build up (it would explain a lot I guess). Now, it suggests the best way to avoid this is by virtue of supersaturation (filling the container with water so that excess salts are washed away through drainage). I am guessing therefore that this isn't the best course of action considering the size of pot I've got here and the fact I'm using only regular compost...?

2. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a simalar problem last year with my rhodi [the thread on here was entitled BURNT LEAVES] and I was told it was probably the food or something to much in the pot ,it was sugested that I plunged the plant to wash through what ever it was.
    And boy did it work!!!

3. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks alot coub! What sort of medium was you rhodi potted in?

4. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well super sautration seems to be doing the trick. The upward curling of the leaves, the fact that it only seemed to be occuring on the lower leaves of the tree and the positive results of the new watering method, points the finger very much at salt burn. The leaves fell off themselves once they dried up enough. Now my lemon tree (which I have not yet given a name), is doing quite well! Take a look for yourself folks:
    [​IMG]

5. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all, haven't spoken to many of you in a while but I've been buzzing around and about, really I have!

Erm, my lemon tree is a bit under the weather I think. It lost a few leaves over winter, but I think that was to do with the fact I may not have brough it in on time. It has recovered a bit since then and is chucking out new stems left right and center.

But... I've noticed something strange as of late:
    [​IMG]
    Now it hasn't been outside since october so insect infesation is unlikely. Seems to be spreading a little up the stems and onto a few of the leaves. I've read some place it could be something called 'greasy spot', commonly affecting citrus trees. It starts with decomposing leaves, which I am ashamed to admit I've left whatever leaves that had fallen over winter, in the big bucket (none of which were diseased).

If it is 'greasy spot' what is the best course of action? I've read copper fungicides are a sensible opition, but that would of course require a correct diagnosis. :scratch:

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,681
  7. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Eew. Thanks pete.

What is the best way to obliterate them without feeling bad? Soapy water in a spray bottle?

I ask because I'd like to stay as organic as possible. Also, I don't like spending money.

No seriously though, if soapy water will do the trick (as I've gathered from some sources), then I'll do that. Oils are also a possibility, but I don't want anything that will cause detriment with a tiny bit of over usage. As for the hideous blobs, are they insects? If I scrape them off will I be doing damage? I'm googling but I'm not finding answers.

EDIT: I'm looking to form my own army of ladybirds, just as soon as they start appearing in my garden (might be a while).
    EDIT2: Oil sprays? Hmm, sounds expensive.