What Runner beans are you growing.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by roders, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    That sounds a fantastic idea!! I might just give that a go, and a add a little chicken poop!

I can heartily recommend them. My OH wanted to grow them, and I was really disinterested in them to be honest - I felt it was a bit of a whim. But we have eaten them the same as runners. They have the prettiest white flowers, and then the pods are streaked with red/pink. They have been great, and any that I have let go too far I leave until they are decent beans inside and pop em out for a dish. To be honest that hasn't happened too often as they are so delicious they don't get left for long. They are a bit more mild than a runner bean if you eat them raw, a tinsy bit more 'mange tout-ish.' But once they are cooked you can't tell much between them.

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes, add the chicken poop Victoria Plum.
    The richer the ground the more the beans love it.
    And I'll try the borlotti - maybe let them go for beans.

3. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    This year I grew Red Rum and got 27lb of beans from 10 plants, which kept us, 2 daughters, my elderly neighbour, assorted friends and relatives and the freezer happily supplied..... oh! and I forgot you're supposed to dig a trench and fill it with loads of compost etc., so I reckon my 'yield' on poor sandy soil was pretty good.

4. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I grew Polestar this year - fantastic crop and still going strong.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I always grow Enorma. It`s a variety I used when I used to show, they have good flavour and can grow to about 18" without being stringy.:gnthb:

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I am growing Enorma too, I started them a bit too early and got a reasonable crop in July and early August but not much since, there have been the odd few pickings. Also I think the horrible wet summer stopped the bees pollinating my crop.

7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I have found a lot of things have been confused by the weather. My tomatoes were flowering and growing beautifully, then all these green tomatoes appeared which just kinds languished there for ages. They just were too wet and cold to turn red!

Now they all seem to be dying off.

Summer seems to have gone before it even got started as far as garden edibles go!

8. ~Jen~

~Jen~ Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I grew some Dwarf Runner Beans, from a children's kit picked up in the B&Q sale! I grew them in a pot in the greenhouse, and got a decent crop!!

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Our beans have now slowed down considerably. I've only picked about 5lb so far this week and can't see getting more than 1 or 2lbs later on in the week. They may just last into October.

On the up side, pears and apples are fantastic and we have just planted out garlic. :thumb:

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I have run a taste test experiment over the last couple of years. I grow quite a variety of beans and sell them for charity (this year I have now sold over 300lb). I asked people to give me feedback on the flavour anf tenderness.

The very clear winner has now been decided as Polestar. I shall probably only sow Polestar in future - apart from any new varieties that I may be asked to trial. They were almost the heaviest cropper as well.

For those of you that like to experiment, when you have cut down this year's plants lift the tuber carefully, make sure it is not too soggy, put it into dry compost and store in the dark (just like dahlias). Pot them up in March or April and move into a frost free greenhouse or keep indoors. When chance of frost is over you can plant them out and get a really early crop. :gnthb:

11. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Ooh... how interesting! I didn't know beans were tuberous.