1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What size armoured cable for greenhouse electrics?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Sheps, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I lived in a house where somebody ran over the cable, then used a 3 pin plug and socket to join the ends, but they put the plug on the end of the cable that already had a plug on the other end! Bet you can guess what happened when the next person (not me) started connecting the cables after plugging in and turning on :yikes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I made sure the socket end of the connector was on the 13amp plug live side ( left hand piece below ) Otherwise you would have two lovely shiny brass live connectors exposed :mad:

71LAdJuds9L._SX355_.jpg

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,328
      I knew someone who complained about the tingling he got in his hands while using an electric mower in light rain.
      More seriously; I was taught to keep the cable behind me by running it over my shoulder when using a mower or hedge trimmer.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        That's proper stuff, the person I mentioned above used a single gang 13A wall socket and a 3 pin plug, encased in a carrier bag for safety.

• Funny Funny x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          It's the one type of connector that I will never use, probably because it's the type that came apart, [literally], in my hand many years and burnt my palm and fingers to the bone leaving scars to the shape of the connector in my left hand that I bear today.

• Friendly Friendly x 1