What was this year's best Tomato????

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Honey Bee, Nov 29, 2006.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Hi there Mike and welcome to GC. Lots of friendly folk on here and heaps of information.

Haven't heard of any of the exotic sounding tomatoes that you mention but I am sure somebody will post some comments shortly.

[​IMG]

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hello Mike T and welcome to GC!!!!

Sungold seem to be a favourite here - I'm going to try them next year. I have tried sweet million - but they turned out HUGE (as do all my mini cherries!!!! :rolleyes: ) Haven't tried Tournado....
    We have some Chilies we are overwintering - we went to the Chilli Fiesta at West Dean, Chichester this year and came back with one of the now world famous "Dorset Naga" plants... and yes, they are hot!!!! What ones do you have?

3. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think mine were Roma this year too, HB - wasnt that impressed - they were very small!! Tasted good though. A friend grew Beefsteak ones and they were delicious! Sungold for me next year by the look of the votes it has on here [​IMG]

4. Mike T

Mike T Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the very warm welcome, why HB do cherrys become melons?, I don't know enough about chilli's or peppers I looked at suttons web site and bought all my herbs tom's chilli's and peppers from them; the chill,s are Jalapeno, peppers, worldbeater, thats all I know!!

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I always save a few red, green and yellow seeds from sweet peppers from the supermarkets and always have a good crop from free seeds.
    I grow Fuego chillis every year just keeping some seeds each time.
    This site will become more interesting in late winter/early spring when the growing season really gets underway and there will plenty of growing advice then. [​IMG]

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I always save a few red, green and yellow seeds from sweet peppers from the supermarkets and always have a good crop from free seeds.
    I grow Fuego chillis every year just keeping some seeds each time.
    This site will become more interesting in late winter/early spring when the growing season really gets underway and there will plenty of growing advice then. [​IMG]

7. gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    sweet million by unwins ,,even better than gardeners delight

8. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The GD were delicious and plenty of them.The other i tried was money maker and have to say i didnt have much success.Had alot of trouble with blossom end rot,greenback AND split fruit.

9. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just an idea to save on watering of tomatos.
    I took the guttering off the back of my garage and fitted 5 plastic window boxes to the fascia (which is easily reachable).
    I filled these with the a variety of hanging tomatos (names I cant remember at this moment).
    I drilled a hole in the bottom of each box with a small plastic pipe to drain the water away slowly.
    All very simple and cheap.
    The crop I had was unbelieveable, looked fantastic in full fruit and great to just walk past and pick some off (I was eating on average 15 a day not to mention the rest of the family).
    I will also do the same to my shed on the lottie (when I get one)
    Due to the being high up I also didnt have any problem with pests etc.

10. gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Like your idea, Azadaman! My gutters at the back of the garage might be ok to remove .... Must have a good think about that..... [​IMG] Only thing is, don't get much rain round there... - maybe somewhere else!

12. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Just thought I would show you a Gardeners Delight still going strong - pic taken on 9th December. it's a cold greenhouse so probably won't last much longer as we are about to get some cold weather methinks. (The radiator is not plumbed in)

[​IMG]

13. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    my 3 tomatillo plants (my only production) grew enormous and gave me an average of 4 tomatoes every day for a few months, and I am still picking the last few ones!

14. cauliflower ears

cauliflower ears Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very interested to hear that some of you are growing shop bought tomatoes from seed. Do they come true? - I thought that the majority of commercial growers used f1 hybreds as their stock plants and as we all know f1's don't reproduce true. It would be very nice to do that, mainly because you could try the tomatos before you grow them and the seeds would be incredibly cheap.

15. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've grown a large variety called Black Russian for several years now. It's apt to grow rather misshapen and can also have a rather tough "scarring" in the texture which has to be cut away. Eaten raw it's unremarkable, but if it's included in a fry-up the flavour really seems to come out [​IMG]
    Tomato-seeds seem to remain viable for quite a few years and I was still sowing from a Suttons Heritage collection which I bought five or six years ago. Garden Peach had a nice flavour and interesting skin texture.
    Whatever you grow is bound to be better than the flavourless, pallid, pappy things on sale in the supermarkets! [​IMG]