What was this year's best Tomato????

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Honey Bee, Nov 29, 2006.

1. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I grew moneymaker this year and had a gigantic crop - freezer is still full! I had six plants, grown in home made compost. Before planting on the seedlings to their beds, i treated the beds with loads of boiling water - a tip from my late grandad. Supposedly it sterilises the soil - getting rid of unwanted bugs. Seems to work!
    We had glorious toms for 4 months, and gave lbs away to neighbours and friends.
    By the way , no tomorite or equivalent was used. I have a neetle tub that I soak nettle leaves in, and decant off the liquid to use as tomatoe feed. Not sure if that was the reason for my crop- but grandad swore by it !

2. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    great ideas Oktarine, i will give that a go.

3. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if you grandad's sterilising tip was somehow connected with non-rotation of crops, oktarine. I believe that it's not a good idea to grow tomatoes in the same bed two years running because certain viruses remain from the first crop you grow. I understand that you shouldn't grow them after potatoes, too, because the plants belong to the same family.

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    yes, ricpop, you certainly can grow a lot of different vegetables and fruit by just using the seeds inside them. I think it is best to let them dry before you use them.