What was your first car

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Tropical_Gaz, Jul 22, 2008.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,983
    Gort: Regal = great!

Wasn't the law such that you could drive a 3 wheeler on a bike licence but only if the reverse gear was blanked off?

I like the grecian urn, but why in front of the garage? It looks like an accident waiting to happen!

2. gort

gort Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not a pic of the actual car I owned, It's just a image I copied off google.
    mine was cream & the van type.
    And it did have a reverse gear.

3. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Then you were driving it illegally...a motorbike license as John said, would have meant to be legal the reverse gear should not have been available.

Mind you, reliants with the top sawn off and a big bar put on the back, made great wheel barrows.:D

4. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That reverse gear law didnt apply after a certain year but im not sure what year that was

5. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    ok looked it up............ Up until 1963 only people with a full car licence could have a reverse gear on a 3-wheeler. Motor-cyclist licence holders with no car licence had to have the reverse gear disabled if it was fitted. The change of law in 1963 means that anyone can now have a reverse gear on a 3-wheeler.

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,983
    IIRC it was just a blanking plate screwed over the gear lever gate to disable the reverse, so it would have been easy to remove for those tricky situations like reversing out of the garage! I'm a bit surprised it was 1963, I was only 10 then but seem to remember it quite well :)

7. gort

gort Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Phew, that's a relief then :)