What's happened to my new lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by gardenflop, May 14, 2018.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Just a cheap and simple and quick green up will be fine. £2 or so.

2. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    I never feed my grass - that is some of it in the present avatar picture, and I refuse to call it lawn - it`s just green stuff to walk on so I can reach all the shrubs and other plants. Maybe you worry too much - why not go mad and plant some more interesting stuff - get some nice hardy easy stuff in there that`ll give you a bit of colour. Be mean to your grass and ignore it a bit :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      I don’t think there is anything wrong with your lawn. I wouldn’t feed it. I never feed mine. Leave the blades set high, mow frequently and leave the cuttings as a light mulche.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Does anyone know of a fertilizer with a NPK of 21-3-3, from my reading that's a ideal feed for grass but i cant find a feed with this ratio.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Feed it now, look at it over the weekend (yes, it works as quickly as that) and then decide if there is a difference. For me a lush green lawn is a delight.
        :)
        Look Martin, a lawn liquid feed is high nitrogen and very effective. Dont get too bogged down witb ratios and brands. B & M, Poundland, etc., etc., will stock bottles sufficient for your needs

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259

ICL Greenmaster Spring & Summer 12-4-6 Liquid Fertiliser | ICL Greenmaster Liquid Fertiliser | Pitchcare Shop

There you go, a nice lowish N liquid based fert. Will not be as aggressive as the one you quoted,
        Or you go for a nice slow release granular feed that supplies feed for around 3 months depending on weather.
        You don’t need such high N feeds, not when there’s hot, dry weather about.
        You want a nice rate of growth so the plant can control its self and not produce soft growth and were it can control its moisture release in hot weather.

• martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Thank you for the suggestions i like to experiment and try things, i will keep looking for what i want.

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        That looks like a sun job to me...our lawn on the back garden ended up like that in the end after the dog had half ruined it besides.