What's looking exotic in August 2012

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by pete, Aug 4, 2012.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Lovely Pete. I am amazed at your climate - you don't see many of those plants outside around here.

That Campsis looks nice. I have just started to grow it, and have been alarmed to read that it may not flower if the summer is not hot enough. I will just have to be patient. I also read that it can be a bit invasive if it really likes you, but I don't think I am going to be worrying too much about that. :biggrin:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,979
    I'm sure you can get it to flower Peter, mine are about a month later than normal, but look to be going to flower OK
    I blame it on the dismal summer.
    Radicans does sucker quite freely, under paving etc, once established.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I've got a nice blue one (P. Incense), if you want me to root a cutting for you?

IME the flowers only last a day or two, so you need to keep the new flower buds coming to get more than one-at-a-time on the plant! Thus I reckon they need to be allowed to grow fairly big - decent sized "climbing-frame" for example. Fairly sure I read that some varieties hold their flwoers for longer, so might be worth sourcing one of those - e.g. if you only have space for one

I bought a plant from Jungle Seeds because they claim to have a darker blue - indeed, I like the shade that it is. It blooms profusely and all-over (yeah, you'll need to so0rt out the pruning as others have said). I can try a cutting of that too if you'd like to try that variety / colour.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I've converted it to a PDF file, which I will try to attach to this post

Attached Files:

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,979
      I tend to agree with Kristen on passion flowers.
      If you get a cutting going its not likely to do much its first summer, then the minimum of pruning overwinter, to get good flowering the following year.:)

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Well here's my measly collection (compared to all you guys :blue thumb:), lots of young plants, but they're getting there :dbgrtmb:

Red Banana from Morrisons;
      Plants 256.jpg

Banana from Lidl;
      Plants 257.jpg

Erythrina Crista-galli, standing at 6ft 1in tall from seed this year;
      Plants 270.jpg

Brugmansia from Peters's seed, just developing flower buds now;
      Plants 269.jpg

Crystal Tree Lilies, not strictly tropical but they look very exotic, not quite fully open;
      Plants 274.jpg

A few more photos to come tomorrow :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 6
      • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        really nice Bilbo , is the banana from lidl a cavendish? plus the banana from morrison look different to the red Maurelii I got , even if I bought one for £2 and look like yours but not like the 3 I`ve got.
        they look like the Ensete Ventricosum
        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
        • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          Hi Sal, the label said Ensete Maurelli, which I googled and found is the same as Ensete Venticosum Maurelli I think???

Not sure about the exact variety from Lidl as it didn't say but I think it probably is Cavendish?? :)

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,998
          the difference I see is that when I bought mine they where almost black and then they turned to mahogany red , this one like yours and mine it`s already green , I think they are all genetically cloned from the same producer sold all around at the same time , you got it from Morrison I got it from my local Gc .
          If the lidl banana has few stain on red in the leaves it`s a cavendish , but the shape of the leaves are suggesting cavendish ....bit hard to keep .

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          I would expect a Maurelii to be darker? or get a Montbeliardii which is both darker and more "butch" looking :)

Jungle Plant have theirs on 25-50% off and free carriage at present. They have really good quality plants, but they aint cheap (both of the above are £15 each) - however, if you can overwinter one getting one of their small ones in the sale now would make a great plant for next year.

http://www.junglegardens.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d1_Banana_Plants.html

Sorry, can't remember which of mine is which, I'll check the labels tomorrow. Definitely one is E. Maurelii and the other E. Montbeliardii though!

South Plant:
          IMG_3640_Ensete.jpg

North Plant:
          IMG_3649_Ensete.jpg

IMG_3648_Ensete.jpg

IMG_3639_Ensete.jpg

• Like Like x 5
          • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,998
            I just created a Thread about the Montbeliardii , It look better then the red maurelii , but they look similar .
            plus the only reason I`m not sure about ordering one, as I noticed that rare plant are more obvious to be mass product ......3 years ago for a red banana the price was around £25 each , today £2 , My first Musa was £15 for a really tiny plant then £2/3 each .
            I was reading an article about the tropical garden is killing the English garden , but be honest the only plant who are surviving the snail red spider and o on are just the tropical.
            Just to try , I planted lupin , digitalis, lily and holly (classic cottage flower) all divored by the snails.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,015
            Kristen - well done with the PDF file.

And many thanks for the kind offer of cuttings. My neighbour has a hardy blue Passion Flower - so my interest would be in a pink or red one, which would have to be kept in a greenhouse. But I have no room. At one time my greenhouse was only full over the winter with tender plants. But its now full all summer as well. And having already two Plumbagos - I can't really justify a third. But thanks all the same.

Bilbo - thats a very good looking red banana. I bought one from Morrisons too, yesterday. I was inspired after seeing that video of how to overwinter them. That Erythrina looks amazing - being from seed. I think it is well worth growing independant of any flowering - so I have added it to my Christmas list.

I am glad the Brug is doing well - it looks very healthy, unlike mine which are badly eaten by slugs.

Kristen - those bananas are superb. I bought a dwarf Cavendish a couple of years ago, which never came back properly after over wintering it. So I am hoping my new one will do better.

• Like Like x 1
            • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +4,015
              These are looking more weird than exotic.

2012_08080003.JPG
              The flower of Arisaema tortuosum

2012_08080008.JPG
              I have just noticed the seed from my Arisaema speciosum

2012_08080002.JPG
              Amorphophallus rivieri has just started to emerge. It looks really weird, but beautiful too.

• Like Like x 5
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,668
                I've read that Cavendish needs realtively high min. temperatures so is harder to over winter? and it is dwarf?

Ensete Maurelii and Montbeliardii seem to be incredibly fast growing (mine were 1L plants which arrived at very beginning of April) and thus very rewarding. V. please with them :) overwintering will be a new experience / challenge though!

If you find your Plumbagos turn out to not be a strong enough Blue let me know and I'll see if I can propagate one for you to try. I posted a thread months ago about getting a decent set (a dozen or so) of Passion flowers. If I do that I'll let folk here know in case anyone fancies a cutting.

• Like Like x 2
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +91,979
                  The old Ferrocactus is flowering again, I seem to have lost the yellow one, it appears to be slowly dieing.
                  Aug 12 098.jpg Aug 12 104.jpg

• Like Like x 6