Whats Looking Good in August....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roders, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Have I got this wrong or what, but thought clerodendrons did not like lime. I always stay clear of "dendron" and "rhodo" instinctively, but are lime and chalk different or have I just got it completely wrong?

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Waco, I thought Clerodendrons preferred peaty type soil but as previously mentioned mine doesn't like anythng! :(

Jazid, it seems your Pheasant Berry has the same ailment problem as my Clerodendron! :D :D :D

3. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well mine's proof that they like lime, and there's lots of it in that garden. I never heard of them needing one soil or another, or I would have been more cautious.

Agree with you LoL about the Leycesteria, maybe you should try one of them instead?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Waco, rhodon= rose, dendron=tree,
    Niether word has anything to do with lime. [​IMG]

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes pete, but its suprising how many plants with those words in do not like lime so if I see them I always look up conditions. Must be just coinsidence.

6. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Laveteria looks good from late June right through to October . This is L. 'Barnsley'

[​IMG]

and the first of the Dahlia 'Edinburgh' has come out.

[​IMG]

7. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Also Waco, and I don't know the latin root but this is ClerodenDRUM, not denDRON so not a tree, though it is. What?

Being a nag here, and possibly incorrect, but Pete - doesn't rhodo=red, rather than rose?

So why is it that many people find botanical latin confusing..

I don't, I was the only person at my school ever allowed to give it up. Coincidental or conspiracy? I dunno

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    You could be right jasid, I'm just quoting from a book I have, latin is not something I know much about although someone did give me a book on botanical latin once, it was 2in thick.
    I didn't get passed page one. :D

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Same dodgy book says clerodendrum comes from the greek kleros meaning chance and dendron meaning tree, meaning it has chancey medicinal properties.
    You did put dendron and not dendrum when you posted the pic. [​IMG]

10. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Like I say, I have no probs with it; I'm just wrong half of the time [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Yep, arn't we all. :D

12. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just looked through my books - Clerodendr (so far so good) originally 'on' in Banks & Solanders herbarium descriptions (as reported by Linnaeus no less), subsequently renamed as a genera Volkameria, then I lose track. Now 'um', with the 'glory bower' C. thomsoniae having a common name of Clerodendron. Why do people find this confusing?

Apparently the curious ant-plants of Papua belong to this genus. Wow! Good to see LoL growing them in Portugal - they won't grow here... [​IMG]

13. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    And I got the same derivations from latin, so at least we can all be wrong together (or right of course) :D :D :D

14. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Clerodendrum or Clerodendron ... it all depends on which books you read .,.. come from China, Japan and the Himalayas ... I didn't know about Papua (New Guinea, the cannibalistic country?). Yes, they are cooler climate creatures but they live in USDA zones 7-10 and I am a 10 .... ratings .... [​IMG] most of you are 8-9. I have mine in a morning-only sun position ... but it's cack, doesn't work! So I need to replace it with the Pheasant Berry .. or certainly something else! :eek: :rolleyes:

Perhaps it is a tree by chance ???? :confused:

15. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't take any notice of the USDA zones as far an Britan is concerned. They are based on the coldest average winter temperatures. Our cold is damp and penetrating, thus 25f here is a lot colder than 25f in say Minnesota. Also they have much hotter humid summers than us.

Maps I've seen show the split east/west rather than north/south, we in Kent are in the same zone 7 as the Shetlands while the mountains of Snowdonia are zone 8, work that out. There seems to be no correlation with the USA whatsoever.

Just took a pic in the garden. I know I've shown these dats before, but they seem to be developing more colour around the edges.

[​IMG]