What's your occupation ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Webmaster, Jun 30, 2006.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    T, my brother was a driving instructor untill three years ago then decided to pack it in and moved to Crete and laze around in(or out of) the sun. They are like yours, stressful jobs, like teaching. [​IMG]

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I am still nursing (just) at 64! If I could have stuggled on for anothe 2 years I would have been nursing for 50 years straight and I really would have loved to achieve that record!! But now my knee's trashed, don't think I've got a chance! So looks like in September I shall join the great ranks of the retired, finally!! I work in the recovery room of theatre though my first love was actually in theatre and loved nothing more than to spend all day "scrubbed up" doing - er - knee replacements, would you believe?

Not that chuffed at the idea of being on the receiving end, actually!!

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi elainefiz and rosa

I was a hairdresser (now retired) and had my own business. It was hard work but a lot of fun. My staff were great and we spent most of the day joking with and insulting each other and the clients joined in. I still see a lot of them regularly.

In my younger days I sold greengrocery in the markets in the East End of London and also helped a friend who had a stall selling juke box records - if anyone is old enough they may remember that if they bought old juke box records they needed to buy the centres to put back in the records.

I was in the merchant navy for a couple of years and did bits and pieces of other jobs to supplement my income.

Hi dendrobium

I ran my own business for 40 years and always found tax inspectors to be polite and very helpful. As with most things it is the few rotten ones that get the bad name for the rest.
    ---------------------
    shiney

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    My private tax inspector doesn't deal with real people, you'll be glad to know - just the big insurance companies - and they deserve to be caught out, not to mention they can afford it! :D

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I've already said in another topic what I think of big companies. Tell hubby to grab 'em by the thingies and squeeze them dry!

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    i have osteo-athritis in my hip when the pain kicks off it is horrific i just cannot walk but touch wood i have not been bothered with it for some time, better be quite as i dread that pain coming back.
    My hubbys friends that are bothered with athritis take. GLUCOSAMINE HI-STRENGTH WITH CHONDROITIN and they swear by them,I just started taking them a week ago.
    You can get them in the chemists but we got them mail order which worked out cheaper

7. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    From experience I would definitely recommend giving an osteopath a go for neck and back pain following a car accident. I saw one for 12 weeks after my accident and I got more movement and less pain than any of the anti inflammatory or pain killers that the doctor prescribed.

8. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Strongylodon I am on the other side of the fence they come to me to see if we will put them on the road or not. I must admit it thoughI do actually enjoy my job most of the time although after a few more sudden and unexpected stops I think I will need the services of Jay

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    papajojo - I went to an osteopath for years but when I went to a chiropractor he actually CURED ME!!! No kidding!!

10. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Originally posted by Webmaster:
    "I have terrible back pain sometimes, due to a car accident about 6 years ago, sometimes i twist my back and get a loud crack , Staffs is too far though"

I can really sympathise with you Nathan, and anybody else with back problems.

I also had a car accident end of 99, a (male)nurse drove out of a side road and straight into my car - wrote it off and did my back in.

I have tried physiotherapist, chiropractor and osteopath- none of which improved it and am now permanently on painkillers.

I would gladly give the few thousand pounds compensation I received to have a new back!

[​IMG]

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    T
    I thought growing plants was stressful!
    but compared to some jobs here, obviously not as much. (There again some people wouldn't want to grow 250,000 plants each year). [​IMG]

12. T

T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow strongylodon I feel lucky if Imanage to grow 4 or 5 I'm the sort of gardner that plants three of something in the vain hope that one of them survive although I am definately improving with of course the help of all the experts on this forum

13. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Was that for a whiplash injury?. I'm going to physio just now,although I think that i benefited more from the osteopath. I am will try anything to get get back to normal.

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I preferred the osteopath to the chiropracter - more gentle! I still have problems when I overdo things, but by and large a pack of frozen peas applied to the affected area at regular intervals helps a lot ( but just remember not to eat those peas! :D

15. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I am finding the osteopath helpful.

I seem to be heading towards permanently being on heavy painkillers, and solicitors are doing very little towards trying to claim any compensation for me! As you say jjordie - it does not give you a new back!