What's your weather like? (2)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Daisies, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I am sorry about the weather situation with you. I had a look at the forecast and hopefully it should get better on wednesday-let's hope so!

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    That's a lot of snow, Penny ... but at least Canadians are geared up to deal with it. When we get it in the south of England we seem to behave as though we've never seen the stuff before in our lives, although even in the mildest winters we usually get a bit.

Silu, poor you! Hope things improve soon.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey Silu, that sounds grim. Refering to the other thread about winter of 62/3 Have you thought about building an iglu structure above your pathways ? at least any more snow would sit on that, save you shovelling.

I know thats easy for me to say sat in the relatively warm south (-3) but it would be something to do to stop you going stir crazy.

Ray will show you how, [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aSL9La5ivo"]YouTube - How to Make a Perfect Igloo - Ray Mears World of Survival - BBC[/nomedia]

More to the point, hows the whiskey holding up ?

4. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Thanks for the sympathies all and for making me laugh Ziggy,much needed as my SOH is decidedly lacking. Re the igloo, is there anything on this internet you can't find how to do?...actually yes there is come to think of it, how to stop this white stuff from dumping on us! The whisky WITHOUT ice is holding up, but running short of Alka Seltza for the ensuing hangovers.

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You really don't like the ice bit now then :flag:

Bicarbonate of soda 1 tablespoon, crush a tablespoon of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt. mix it all up & re hydrate.

Seriously though, are we going to have to mount a rescue if you've been snowed in for that long ? Do we need to put out a general mayday ?

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Now we are doing the extremes ... 3,6c three nights ago and 14,5c last night ... not sure whether to light the fire or put the a/c on ... we are currently 17c at this time of night ...

7. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    -7.9c here last night according to my weather station the coldest we have had it here so far this winter.Was talking on the phone yesterday to a lady up at Losehill in Derbyshire and she told me they registered -15c in the morning which is very cold brrr.

We might get some more snow tomorrow but not sure yet,but I must say that everywhere looks pretty with all the greenary frosted:D

8. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good morning everyone,its -2.7 here but there is no snow,no fog,no wind,and no sunshine,but all in all its not a bad day:)

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning All,

Not saying its cold but my toothpaste and olive oil are frozen.

10. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    House sitting for my son in ,no snow or fog today but about -3 with sun breaking through .
    Dave

11. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Friend down the road has just phoned to make sure we are still coping. She told me her thermometer registered -17 at 7 this morning. Touch nippy then, but we don't have anymore of the white stuff and blue skies. As this is meant to be a gardening forum, not a me moaning about the weather site! Can anyone tell me if my 10000s of Snowdrops and Aconites will flower under the blanket or wait until it has melted? I presume the latter but never seen as much snow in my life. In places we have over 5ft of snow piled up and that I fear won't melt until April. We could have daffs flowering in July!

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Silu,

With 3 foot of snow & -17c you moan as much as you want to mate.

I've seen snowdrops flowering thru snow, but not that much. Spread ashes from the fire on top to absorb the suns heat, might help a little.

13. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    The snowdrops are not due out for a while down here so I expect yours will be fine and quite warm unde the snow blanket, it's a good insulator.

14. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Good morning everyone,.

Its still snowing here, calling for another 40-60 cms, there is a wind chill advisory in effect, and squalls too..........heck of a nice day here!!

15. lovetogarden

lovetogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have been in a low 20's here and is not even winter yet:cry::cry:. I don't like cold weather.....i can't go outside and work in my yard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.