1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheelchair or Mobility Scooter.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,570
    Looks like it is going to have to be something like that @Jack McHammocklashing - finance declined, most likely due to the fact that I am terminating my car loan and have been changing direct debits to other accounts recently; gone are the days where there was a considered approach to these things, nowadays it is simply a computer making the decision.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      I wonder if the mobility shop can provide you with transport to get there?

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Hey now mate. STOP downing yourself. Why are you getting shot of your car? Have you not got a family member or friend that could drive you around???

Getting to a mobility shop. Hells bells matey, they want your money, and believe me there is big big money to be made in this area, also in foods that are ex; whatever. Search the net. Ask for more information. Let them come to you. That doesn't mean you have to acept what they offer. Hey old son. It's your wellbeing, your dosh. For once in your life it's. YOU who dictates the terms and calls the tune.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,594
        If Mrs FC is working would it be possible for her to take on the finance?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,570
        @Mike Allen - I am the only driver in the household, and my eyesight has been affected as a result of the illness, as well as the eye muscles themselves being damaged/deteriorated due to whatever the underlying condition is that I had before my spell in hospital. The neurologists still haven't identified exactly what it is, but have put it akin to muscular dystrophy and advised that I seek support from the MD support groups that are online. They have also categorically stated in writing that I am not to drive - so, all that being the case, it simply does not make sense to keep on paying £400 a month for a car that is sat in a driveway and not able to be driven.

Somewhat ironically, I believe that it is this that has stuffed the credit as I got a letter from them stating that I had defaulted on a payment, despite the fact that I had arranged collection of the car and had been told that there was nothing more to pay; one department not talking to another! It will resolve, but clearly that is going to take time.

In the interim period, I have a couple of potential avenues to explore, as well as needing to do further research about a ramp for our back door (we have uneven drops on either side of the threshold which is complicating things more than you would believe!); I have my first physio assessment on Monday (10 weeks early!), so will be talking this through with the physio as they link back to the OT team, who in turn might be able to advise or do something. Lastly, I need to look into PIP - a brief look at it this morning suggests that my mobility issues are such that I should be entitled to something in terms of the personal element (I require assistance for washing, toilet etc, and have even less chance of being able to sort food or drink for myself) and also something with regard to the mobility element - whether that will then do anything toward a suitable chair, I have no idea, but I need to at least try.

@Sheal - not possible due to other commitments sadly, however as mentioned above I do have some potential avenues to explore. I am not done yet by a long chalk!

• Like Like x 3
        • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
          Ratings:
          +4,411
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
            Ratings:
            +5,404
            eBay could be the way to go for now FC. You will be entitled to Motability allowance, and may be able to get something far better when it is actually in place. I believe it can be used for scooters or motorised chairs in place of a car.

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,570
              I have no way to collect it, and have nothing in place in terms of ramps to get the thing into the house for storage, so that one will have to go for now - need to speak to the physio on Monday and then go from there

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              So rest up for now aye, it will all work out in the days to come. At least you are back at home :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                +6,097
                Hello FC. Thank you for trusting us with your personal information.

If I may mention a point or two having had dealings with various departments. Might I suggest you make an appointment with your GP. They can do a lot to help. For instance you mention a ramp. Even if you own your property, local council social services can and will come to your aid.
                Fortunately my local council, Royal Borough of Greenwich must be a top council. OK I am a council tenant, but talking with staff, I learned a lot. Val & I asked for a small shed in which to store the mobility scooter. We got more than that. A brick built out building was built next to te front door. Electric was included for light and battery charging. Next our tiny bathroom was looked at. I had prevously built my own shower, couldn't afford a pucker job. Disabled shower was installed. Val had paid out privately for a stair lift, as we lived upstairs. Social services said they would have had one installed at no cost to us, had we not already got one. OK YES social services have got a record of getting things wrong but, locally my council come up trumps when it involves disabilities. I believe they will also make sure you get the best of mobility aids.

Also your local council can issue you with a free travel card, for trains and bus services. There is als Dial A Ride service. I'm not sure if this is available in all areas but, here inGreenwich the council can give you a special card that gives you priority taxi service at reduced fares.

As with so many things. You are never told what's on offer. It's upto you to ask and go for it.
                My dear friend please never think that you have become a sponger. You have paid into the kitty all your life.
                Take care and Stay Safe.
                Sincere best wishes.
                Mike.

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 2
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,460
                  Re your upcoming meeting with the OT: see whether they agree that you need a wet room. The council can pay for that sort of thing but I don't know how it works as you have a private landlord. I've just got the council to install a wet room for Barry (took four months of bureaucracy and completed last week) but he is a council tenant.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,570
                  Not sure that I would need a wet room, as the ultimate aim is to resume normality as soon as I can. As you say, I also have to be very careful as I rent from a private (albeit very good) landlord, so modifications such as ramps etc will have to be done on the basis they do not affect the house.

Thanks @Mike Allen - I have, over the past few days, arrived at the conclusion that I need to stop trying to be so independent and pursue the help that is there whether it is offered or needs asking for; as you say, I have paid into the system for many years (since I was 15), so now is the time I need to make sure I get what I am entitled to.

On the bright side, my leg mobility is improving daily - very good indeed this morning in fact, and whilst I still cannot get up from a lower chair, I can lift my knees much higher when I am walking and am leaning a lot less on the frame. Whilst I know that it is going to take a long time for my mobility to fully recover, this improvement bodes well :)

• Like Like x 4
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,594
                    It's great to hear you're getting stronger every day FC. You mentioned in a previous post you hoped to walk to the end of your road by the end of June, you never know you could be jogging there. :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                      +6,097
                      That's good new FC. This is something that always bugs me with this country. We probably have the best health and welfare services in the world. The powers to be know full well what YOU and others need, and that it is available but they never tell you. NO, like kids playing some game. You the needy one is expected to ask for help etc.

I totally understand your feelings, I experienced the same with my late parents, something to do with, 'Proudness'. Believe me. There are lots who certainly are not shy in coming forward and actually demanding this and that. Go for all that you are entitled to. Sincere best wishes.

• Like Like x 3
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                        Ratings:
                        +4,411
                        Looks like someone might get a bargain. Two bids from the same person. This means they've bid £120 and then added a maximum bid of a greater amount, this will not be applied unless someone else bids higher than £120. From the images there appears to be no scuffing on the footrest and it looks immaculate. So I think the battery is likely to be OK.

A carrier would collect this for less than £100.

Drive Sunfire Plus GT Powerchair Electric Wheelchair | eBay

• Agree Agree x 1