1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where can I get Sodium Chlorate?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by millwall40, Apr 11, 2010.

1. millwall40

millwall40 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoken to the manufacturer for the above sodium chlorate and they confirm its banned by the EU.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
    Sodium Chlorate has now been banned by the EU.
    Doff Portland Limited ceased to sell on the instructions of the EU on 10th May 2009.
    Last date for sale by retailers to customers will be 30th September 2009.
    Last use by date for customers will be 10th May 2010.

It will be interesting how the UE will police the last clause...

They also said something about glyphosate, does anyone have any comments on this stuff for use on a large gravel driveway? is it known by a marketed name?

2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,586

Roundup.

Touchdown.

etc, etc.

Cheapest to buy it in concentrate form (see my post above.) You can buy 1 litre, 5 litre and 20 litre containers.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,543
    I think we should all pool our supplies if sodium chlorate and use it to blow up the EU.:D

4. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    it amazes me, if you think of all the things we used for years not knowing the danger of what substances could cause what. as i have quoted before , i spent 34 years in the plastics/chemical industry as a laboratory technician and was involved in using chemicals/pigments/lubricants/additives etc etc. as a lab tech we used many chemicals , which all
    had SAFETY DATA SHEETS, the only problem was most people did not read them and never took the proper precautions before using them. we had a test called M.F.R. which decided the melt flow rate of grades of plastic .we had scales within tolerance to establish what grade of plastic we were testing. the point i am making, we used a substance called Dioctyl Phthalate to clean the MFR machines , the machine was cleaned using a( gun patch) dipped in D.O.P. and rammed into the machine to clean the barrel before the next grade test . this testing machine could reach about 300 degrees F caused a vapour when the the cleaning agent was used. this chemical plant had been using the same procedure for 40 years ?. one day the head of the lab came in and asked me what i was using to clean the barrels of the machine, i told him the usual d.o.p. this was when it was discovered that it was a carcinogen?. when d.o.p. is added to a temperature of 300 it gives off a vapour that is carcinogen!!!! SAD end to the situation was the man who discovered the problem with the vapour at high temps using D.O.P. for cleaning M.I machines died at the age of 37 years
    leaving a wife and five children. so dont mess with something you think you know about
    make sure you are sure. music. :cool:.

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
  6. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I tried Tumbleweed last week for the first time, that is the one in the trigger plastic bottle.
    it must be 6 days ago when i sprayed the weeds, they are still there :(. if anything they look bigger:cnfs: i think ,in the manufacturing Process, THEY PUT MIRACLE GROW IN THE BOTTLE:skp:
    music.

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm! I think Tumbleweed is the same chemical as SBK:scratch:. If so, it only works on broad-leaved weeds:wink:

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Tumbleweed has been banned for about 8 years. And it is illegal to use any chemical, including household bleach or dishwasher salts, as a pesticide. Go to Wilkinsons and get a bottle of Glyphosate.:gnthb:

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    ERR! Dai. We were talking about herbicides not pesticides:scratch:

10. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I believe sites which allow these alternative solutions are also open to prosecution.:old:

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Yes, we have this problem on poultry forums, with some members recommending products to treat pests that are not licensed for use on chickens.

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Sounds like ther's been some heavy lobbying from the chemical companies:skp:

13. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Eerr Cajary, when you learn a little about gardening you will find that pesticides cover weeds, insect and fungus pests.:gnthb:

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Dai. If I knew anything about gardening I wouldn't have to be on the site.:lollol:
    I'll have to learn what pedant means, that might help.:wink::gnthb:

15. wurzel

wurzel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D