1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where can I get Sodium Chlorate?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by millwall40, Apr 11, 2010.

1. wildernessman

wildernessman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow. Is that true? I've read the following which says that the "Sale, supply, storage and advertisement" of sodium chloride as an agricultural herbicide "is an offence unless specific approval has been granted for the substance to be marketed as a pesticide under an approved label." I'm not convinced that this means that it is illegal to use it to kill weeds on a path or driveway.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/approvals.asp?id=57
    http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/uploadedfiles/Web_Assets/PSD/strychnine_Hydrochloride_Revocation.pdf

Go to Wilkinsons and get a bottle of Glyphosate.

Glyphosate is a systemic herbicide. It is not exactly a substitute for sodium chlorate, which works both systemically and residually. That is why Glyphosate, on its own, is not generally recommended as a path weed-killer.

The active ingredients in Pistol (glyphosate and diflufenican) are the same as the active ingredients in Pathclear.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,478
    Hi wildernessman,

Although I would never admit to breaking any of those laws most gardeners tend to ignore them.

Having said that, Dai is perfectly correct and you can find the info by googling it yourself.

This tells you about the definition of pesticides and you can click on home to follow other links.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/about_pesticides.asp?id=219

3. wildernessman

wildernessman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that Dai is correct about the definition of pesticide.

I'm yet to be convinced of the illegality of using NaCl to kill weeds. Inadvisable, perhaps. Illegal, however, is a different matter.

And in recommending glyphosate as a path weed-killer, he's wrong. Because glyphosate has no persistence in soil and does not inhibit germination, it is, used by itself, a poor path weed-killer.

4. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    In the U.K. Companies can’t legally spray a residue herbicide over the entire hard surface ie path or driveway but can spot spray.
    While chemicals look the same there are variations of chemical used within the products to achieve better plant penetration, rain fast, lowering drift and even helping to achieve better results with hard water.
    Many residue weed killers have strict guidance now and glyphosate does have a small window of residue and that alters depending on what product is used which is why all professional products must be used by someone that is trained with relevant certification or under supervision.

There is no law stopping anyone buying any of the products but the end user must be trained in accordance with the government guidelines. I have no issues treating weeds with glyphosate on paths as there are various methods.

most products with have detailed notes on dosage so it’s important to follow the guide as it will help to achieve the best results using the lowest amount of said herbicide.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Just seen the post date, why is the forum showing old posts?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,962
      I think you will find pretty much posts going back a very long way if you want to look for them.
      I mean, at what point do you class a post as old and delete it?:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,859
        Good afternoon only my own personal opinnion but to me if a post regardless of its age contains informative and relevant information then it retained for future use;):smile:

• Like Like x 2
        • Creative Creative x 1
        • Earthman

Earthman Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          In case anyone was still wondering whether there was an alternative, ammonium sulphamate can still be purchased but was banned by the EU as a herbicide. Unlike sodium chlorate which is an oxidiser, ammonium sulphamate is also used as flame retardant.