Where is the Wild flower thread ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Michael Hewett, May 5, 2024.

1. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +19,246
    My late partner Beryl became disabled over the years and for the last 5 or 6 yrs of her life was confined to a wheelchair.
    When I pushed the chair around in a town you'd be surprised how many people crashed into us because they were looking at their phones. I used to shout at them something like "Watch where you're going you zombie !" :biggrin:
    Other people in the vicinity would laugh but it really wasn't funny.

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    I agree @Michael Hewett - absolutely nothing funny about it at all.
    The thoughtlessness of people makes me despair at times.
    There was one yesterday. The usual rubbish - a teenager on his bike [no helmet or any proper gear at all] bombing along the footpath. I shook my head, and he kept looking round at me afterwards. When I looked back at him to see if he was going to get onto the road as there's another very narrow bit of pavement going over a little bridge, he stayed on the pavement. There was two women coming along it, and I stopped to look - because I knew there would be a problem. He just kept going - and they got off the pavement onto the road!
    No way would I have done that - I'd have stood my ground. He shouldn't have been there.

I know what he was doing - haring along to the petrol station for something to eat/drink, or to the shops much further up the road. They do it all the time when it's a holiday and they're off school.

• Like Like x 1
    • Michael Hewett

Retired
      Ratings:
      +19,246
      I would have done that too. Pedestrians shouldn't be forced on to the road, it's dangerous.
      One of my neighbours has a motorbike and he rides it on the pavement when he comes home up the hill. I haven't said anything to him but when I put my garden bin out I make sure there isn't enough room for a motorbike to pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,198
        Quite right. We have a neighbour here who thinks the world revolves round him and his business. Umpteen vehicles, parked on corners of access roads etc.
        I asked the council if we could have double yellows on the corners, or a bollard, to prevent him parking vans right on the corners, but I doubt they'll bother. I sent photos of his parking too. An accident waiting to happen, because you can't see properly when coming out the rear access road. He also likes to reverse at speed into the access roads. Nearly hit me one day when I was going out, and he also nearly hit a neighbour who was taking his kid to school one morning. He confronted him about it - but the cowardly little tw*t sent his wife round to apologise.
        He's an absolute moron.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Michael Hewett

Retired
          Ratings:
          +19,246
          Ah I don't know why people need lots of cars, the man with a motor bike I said about also has a car and a big blue van, and his wife has a motorbike. They also have a car that's never used and kept at the side of the house. Doesn't make sense to me.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,679
          Lots of cars, but my beef is work vans, no companies have space for their vans, they just let the employees take them home all the time, consequently my road is full of parked vans all the time.
          If I had my way any sign written vans would not be allowed overnight, or weekends, on housing estate roads, but nobody would police it.
          I think its down to the companies people work for to not let employees take vehicles home if they dont have off road parking.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,198
            The problem I have here is that tw*atty boy owns the company with his brother or something. He has plenty of room alongside his property, but I think he does it deliberately. I also think he believes I'm the one who dobbed him in to the council about keeping chickens, which he did many years ago. It wasn't me, but it's how he seems to be. He keeps converting sheds and the neighbouring bits of ground, including a section of pavement, and even a carport. If he didn't do that, he might have room for all his vehicles.
            I was just reading an item a couple of days ago about a family who are having a massive dispute with a neighbour and the council, because of their vans on the driveway - think it might be a shared driveway. The council are enforcing it and have told them they can't park them there. I can't recall all the detail, but they have a unit nearby, so I don't see why they have to bring them home either, much as you describe @pete. Their argument is that if they're called out in an emergency [aye right] it means they can go immediately from the home.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +91,679
              I have these big vans parked where I live and the people they belong to live right at the bottom of the road.
              One has NHS on it, and the other is just a big white van, the owner has a corner shop I'm told.
              Because at my end of the road we all use our driveways these people just scatter their vehicles along the length of the road and once dumped outside my window Friday night
              they are there till Monday morning.

I think we might have strayed off topic slightly. :biggrin:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +122,174
              Surely not? :rolleyespink: We never do that! :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Michael Hewett

Retired
                Ratings:
                +19,246
                It doesn't matter. Conversations are like that, it's natural.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +91,679
                  I looked back and I think it was you that changed the subject. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                    Ratings:
                    +32,854
                    Get in touch with your local police for ASB parking on pavements picture's will help email police and copy to your PCC disable people are having problems using the pavements, you never know something may happen :)

• Agree Agree x 1