Where to start

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Cyclingvet, Jan 2, 2012.

1. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    one with a few more flowers

[​IMG]

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    If one wants the garden to look at its best in some specific months of the year, is there the possibility to choose only plants that fill that requirements? What software is it?

3. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    can be done .... I run 2 programs side by side .... the 1st is a proper 3d landscaping cad package which has thousands of plants and accesories such as decking, ponds etc etc .... you design in plan view, then view the elevations and can do walkthroughs etc ... you can even select the time of day/night, add lighting and wind, and add wildlife such as birds and butterflies etc

The plant database is comprehensive, and you can view the plants at different stages of growth (age) ... only drawback, is that the plants are to scale, but they show the blooms/flowers, so you get a false impression .as everything is in bloom at the same time... however, this can be overcome by doing it on 12 layers (one for each month of the year, and view the layers one by one ....

I can do that, but it takes extra time .... and I'm not too bothered with it ... however, if a client wants this, I will do it, but he will pay for my time

I have a database that I made myself (on microsoft access, that has thousands of plants / shrubs) ... which I use when designing a landscape (especially cottage style)

I can set filters (example: list all the perennials that have red flowers, that do best in semi shade, and that peaks in june, and that grows 300mm high etc) ... I then get a full list of all the plants that meet this criteria (an example of what peak means is if a shrub/perennial flowers in march, april and may, it 'peaks' in april .... very handy when designing/landscaping

This is very important when laying out a garden, as it allows you to utilize the space for maximum colour throughout the year

the 2nd program (is the one I'm playing with now) ... you take a photo of the clients home, and within minutes can knock someting up by placing plants etc .... very rudementary but does the trick ... I only have the trial version, so it only has a few plants, but will upgrade to the full version

The 2 programs work together, so I will be able to take photos of the house, do a quick layout, if the client gives the go ahead, I then do the full plan

very good stuff, as it's always difficult to explain to the customer what they will be getting on a 2d drawing .... a picture closes the deal

the cad program has attributes (i.e. as you add the plants etc, it works out the bill of materials and costs involved etc)

4. Cyclingvet

Cyclingvet Gardener

vet
    Ratings:
    +27
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sitting area now gone. Trellis gone. Clematis has been bedded in elsewhere temporarily & hopefully will survive. Sitting area going to be turning/parking area for car & wooden framework to train hopefully saved wisteria across driveway. New sitting area going to be on tarmac behind screening fence in front of conservatory. Cost of digging thick tarmac & replacing it with york stone phenomenal. Will cover it with pots & refrain from looking down!!