which compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by compostee, Oct 30, 2006.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Oktarine I make my own compost but would not use it for seeds without it being sterilized nor would I recommend anyone else to either

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    This is where the confusion comes in between garden compost, which is rotted down kitchen and garden waste amd seed and potting compost which are entirely different ie. relatively sterile. I would think home made compost is far too rich for seedlings. My home made compost, and I make as much as I can using any organic material, is used on the flower beds as a mulch or to enrich the soil while planting. Very rich stuff and the plants and worms love it.

3. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry walnut, but my experience is absolutely fine for seed germination. If you make a hot compost heap then that will kill seeds from weeds and sterilise itself to some extent. The only time i sterilise it (with boiling water) is prior to potting on tomatoe plants. I may be new to this green fingers stuff, and maybe im riding a tide of good luck, but im using my home made compost for the 3rd year now to propogate seedlings and am more than happy with the results.

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Peat free composts can be a bit rough for seed sowing. There is a new Genie range of peat and loam free composts made from UK sourced 100% re-cycled ingredients. They are intended for seeds and cuttings etc

See:

http://www.vitalearth.tv/