Which evergreen trees for a hedge?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by flappinganimal, Nov 22, 2009.

1. flappinganimal

flappinganimal Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I had no idea the apple tree was in such a bad way :-( Just out of interest, how can you tell its not doing well? When we moved in in mid October it had one large apple still clinging to its branches and a few rotting on the grass. They must be cookiing apples of some sort but im not sure how good they were, probably not very if the tree is past it somewhat!:lollol:

How would I go about removing the tree? Would it be a case of digging the whold thin up or could I just saw it off at the base andkind of axe the stup up? Excuse my obvious lack of gardening knowledge.

How old do you predict the tree is?

There are another couple of apple trees that look recently planted in the garden. There is one on the right between the two low bushy plants, that had two pinky red apples on it when we moved in, very tatsey! And there is another the house side of the old apple tree, although that might be pears :dh:

How quickly do apple trees establish? If I planted one now from the garden centre, how long would I have to wait until it was a reasonable size and producing a decent amount of apples? (I plan on attempting making cider too).

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi flappinganimal.

I think your old apple tree is past redemption because it's so neglected. It looks like it nearly fell over some years ago and then grew at an angle. It hasn't been pruned for many years and has too many large branches growing from the top of its trunk. I suspect it has defiencies, diseases and possibly infestations (these are often the by-products of neglect). You could try and nurse it back to fruitfulness but it would take years and I just don't think it would be worth the effort. You could be putting that energy into growing new trees and plants.

I have no idea how old it is but I can see nobody has looked after it for years.

To get rid of it, you first cut the top off leaving the main trunk standing about 4-5 ft high. This enables you to get some leverage as you rock the trunk backwards and forwards to loosen the whole thing in the ground. You may need to cut some roots with a pruning or log saw to get it free.

In favourable conditions, apples trees can establish themselves in a couple of years

3. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,647
    I know that you said you are short of money but the only answer is to remove the left hand fence and accompanying apple tree completely.

Then, possibly the best idea is, to put up a new fence exactly like the one on the right. Then your garden gets equilibrium.

You have to get your basics right first before starting to design your garden.

Freddie has a post here on designing his long narrow garden and you should have a look at that.

Click here for Freddy's post!

If you are thinking of a pond, remember to visualize where the possible outflow is going and where the inflow is coming from first before you start digging.

4. flappinganimal

Ratings:
    +0

OK consider the apple tree gone.

With regards to the fence, do you think I could use the old concrete posts or should I change them to wood ones like on the right?

I know its nearly impossible to say but how much roughly do you think replacing the fence will cost? Is it something I can do myself or would it be better to get someone in?

I couldnt seem to get freddy's link to work :scratch:? Just came up as a blank screen with the banner.

Cheers :-)

5. flappinganimal

Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. ABout the in flow / outflow of the pond. I wasnt aware I needed them:dh:

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Here's a spanner in the works!
    I wouldn't take out that apple tree. I'd chop it just above the 4th branch and get rid of the growth that's pulling it over. If that doesn't work you can always take it right out later. But you never know it might produce nice apples - though the neighbours will probably get half of them.
    I would take out those two trees in the foreground - they are too big for that size of garden, though I'd leave the tree at the bottom of the garden for now.
    As far as regards a fence - yes you can easily DIY with a bit of care and thought. Personally I recommend replacing the whole run. I can't suggest what it would cost - you need to do some measuring, decide on the type you want and then price materials. But whatever you go for it is going to run into a few £100.
    Cheapest might be a properly done reed fence (like the wrecked bit) but you'll need additional posts and wires. Next would probably be laplarch as per the stuff that is still (just) standing. Third and probably longest lasting would be ranch-style with horizontal boards on alternative sides of the posts. This has lower wind resistance and is less likely to blow down and should last for years.
    You really need to get out with a tape measure, sit down with a note book and then do a bit of research around your local DIY/ Building supply/Yellow Pages to cost the various options.
    As far as the concrete post go, I'd leave them in-situ and use then if I could - but it might take a bit of 'engineering' to use them depending on the type of fence you go for.

At all costs avoid a hedge!

7. flappinganimal

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your info. Plenty for us to consider. Maybe I will leave the tree in for one more year to see what if any fruit it gives us.

I'll keep you up dated as things progress. Will probably start a new thread in the general forum when we get started properly.

Thanks again for all your help, im sure I will be calling on all your expert advice again alot more in the near future :-)

Thanks,

Pete.