Which London Airport to fly to

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by silu, Oct 16, 2016.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    I used to fly to Gatwick from Manchester @silu . The train station is right on the airport , so to get into London centre is easy.
    As you are looking for a low cost flight this will determine the airport you fly to . Just returned from Tenerife with Easyjet , very impressed with the service. We flew to Rome with Ryanair and they did treat you like cattle class . Although I think they are trying to up their game over the last 2 years.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Very kind offer @shiney mines a large whisky! Really interesting info @Scrungee a great bargain spotter as usual. I will have a look at the times and see just how much longer it would take, probably less that I think by the time I have driven to Edinburgh Airport and done the whole security/leave enough time for mishaps bit. Thanks @HarryS, yes Ryanair is pretty much the pits. We flew to Munich recently with them. OMG thankful the flight wasn't longer. I'm quite slim and 5ft 7inches and could hardly breath in my seat. A tall but not large man with great difficulty managed to sit down in the aisle seat next to me and promptly announced that he didn't need to put on his seat belt as there was no way he was probably ever going to get out of his seat again! We all howled with laughter but got a rather frosty looks from the cabin crew. Seen the above clip a few times which always makes me laugh. You'd have thought with Micheal O'leary having won a fortune with his horses including winning The Grand National he'd have "spread the joy" a bit but then again he is an accountant by trade and yes happy to say most accountants I've known have had moths in their pockets. I have a brother who was a very "smart" accountant and 1 of the meanest men I know when it comes to money, my uncle was also an accountant and likewise mean as sin according to my Mum. Apologies to all you generous GC accountants, I just don't know any!!!
      Squeezy is definitely better, flew with them to Rome in the Spring and ok I still wouldn't fancy doing a really long flight with the room/seat type but it was fine and you didn't feel like you were being herded like sheep about the place.
      Country bumpkin me thought I'd found not a bad hotel in a good location for us and was just about to book when I realised the room rate was per night not per stay of 2 nights:yikes:. I refuse point blank to pay over £450 for a couple of nights in a very so so hotel. Back to the drawing board, I wonder how comfy a park bench in Hyde park would be?

• Funny Funny x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        :yahoo::yahoo::wow::wow: @Scrungee you have excelled yourself this time. I have just finished booking our TRAIN tickets to London and back for the princely sum of £60 and have reserved seats with no extra to pay. It only takes just over 4 hours and we will be right into the centre of London with no buses or trains to have to take after a flight to 1 of the London Airports. Brilliant and I reckon probably quicker if you add all the extra time needed for security etc when flying PLUS we will have room to breath. Of course we could suffer from leaves on the line...groan but hopefully all will be well.
        Now don't feel quite so bad about having to pay a king's ransom for somewhere to stay. Found somewhere which isn't too lethal, right opposite Hyde Park so shouldn't be too too noisy at night. Many thanks everybody for your input, looking forward to our trip now as near enough organised. :ThankYou: so much Scrungee, it isn't only a great saving it suits us much better to get the train rather than faff about getting transport into the centre. I owe you 1...or 2!

• Like Like x 3
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,248
          Must be cheaper , quicker , + less faff going by rail . The £60 return price seems a good deal as well . I know last year a friends son was travelling by rail on business , 1st class for his firm , Wigan to London at peak time - .The price was unbelievable - virtually the cost of a weeks budget holiday to Spain !

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,883
          @silu - Twickenham East Premier Inn from £65 a night, and the Beefeater that is next door is really good. http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-twickenham-east.html

To get up town from there, just jump on an H22 or 490 across the road from the hotel, which will take you to Richmond where you can get on the District Line up town; alternatively, get a 110 from the same side as the hotel and it will take you to Hounslow East (Hounslow Bus Station is right next door to the station), and you can get the Piccadilly Line from there. :blue thumb: