Who do you think you are

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Fran, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I've been looking around and found my Grandad mentioned. That is a good start so I have hopes of finding more.

Thanks for your help!

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    There are plenty of free Genealogy sites where you can see what you can find. But for me the best place to build 3D images of ancestors is the census - and for that you usually have to pay. However check out

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

and http://www.ancestry.co.uk/

if you can afford it - then subscribe to the above - and then you can access all the censuses and more.

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I know this is getting away from what we are talking about but maybe now ,

Has anyone though of posting gold photos,you could see what people and fashions looked like all those forgotten yrs.

Just a thought.

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You mean like this from about 1910

[​IMG]

I'm in the process of scanning all our families old photographs. Even found some ancient cine film - that Messrs Jephsons kindly put onto video tape.

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  6. IckleWeed

IckleWeed Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HB and Windy

My wife has been researching her family tree and it transpires that they hail from the Clerkenwell, Shoreditch area of London too. Her family name is Harden and were Cabinet Makers and owned Jewellery shops in that area.

7. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Perhaps we should compare notes. My mother's family were cabinet makers and shop fitters in Shoreditch and Clerkenwell. They lived in City Road in the 19th century

8. bingog

bingog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is more frustrating when you discover that you family has been rather boring. Not one rogue...

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We can trace the present family name back to 1384 and know that we (on the male side) are descended from an Eduard de Dutton, who came over during the Norman conquest. I had copies of pages and pages of research done by a cousin, including copies of wills from the 18th century, I lent them to a nephew and now when I�ve the time to put everything together they�ve been lost. I�ve still got copies of one of my g.grandparent�s birth certificates signed with an X.
    Mrs W�s side of the family looks really interesting though extremely convoluted with a mixture of Polish/Russian, Irish, Dutch and Scottish ancestors.

Claims to fame:
    Mrs Wââ?¬â?¢s remote ancestor Frances Hodgson Burnett wrote ââ?¬Å?The Secret Gardenââ?¬Â and ââ?¬Å?Little Lord Fauntleroyââ?¬Â.
    Best I can come up with is ?????? (lost the documentation thanks to wretched nephew) who was seneschal to King Richard I and whose exploits contribute to the ââ?¬Å?Saracenââ?¬â?¢s Head Coupeââ?¬Â in the family coat of arms. (probably very and rightly politically incorrect today!)
    If youââ?¬â?¢ve ever visited Tatton Park ââ?¬â?? this was once one a base for one of the branches of the family. And if you enjoy good bread the Wââ?¬â?¢s stuff is good. Pity we donââ?¬â?¢t get get a share in the profits!

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Ouch - I hope you gave your nephew a thick ear :D Can your cousin give you another copy - if not he must be sick after all that work.

If I had lost my tree with recent pc problems I would have been just a tad hysterical - a lorra work down the tubes.

11. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Best to upload your family tree to one of the genealogy websites. That way - it's always safe and you attract other people in different parts of the world who are researching other branches of your family. I have met distant "cousins" from Canada, New Zealand and Australia as well as in Britain

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The cousin who did all the work died a few years ago. He'd been able to access parish records and registrar's records in the relevant counties (Lancs/Cheshire). Nephew who borrowed all the stuff a couple of years ago denies all knowledge! :mad:

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    So nephew borrowed the originals -your cousin must have either ill or dead, can't see him passing the lot over after all that work. Idea. advise your nephew that as this is the family record, that you intend redoing the research, and that you will be looking to him for the cost of such a project unless he finds the originals in order that you can record them for all the family.

Hb - unfortunately the complete mother maternal part comes from another's research and can not be published. Difficult to seperate his records away - so the only thing I could publish would be a genealogy report - unless you know of a way of re converting a genealogy report into a Family Tree file.

14. Nick the Grief

Nick the Grief Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I dabble with family history as well, trouble is you get sidetracked :D One of my lot on my dads side was a barge captain (narrowboats) so I ended up reading loads about them one year & forgot to do the researh Lol !!!

A bit found out by my cousin (who I found sitting next to me in the records office one day Lol!!!)

"Charles Henry Trotman appeared on the 1851 census and again in 1855. On the 16th. October of that year at the Winter Assizes, Gloucester, Charles, then 18 years of age was found guilty
    of the charge of 'Larceny of a fixture' in that he did; feloniously steal at Welford on the 6th. February 1855 40lb. weight of lead fixed
    to a dwelling house the property of John Edkins Mills. His sentence was to 12 months hard labour in the penitentiary at Gloucester. Charles's prison record gives the following description of him; Height 5' 71/2", Hair sandy, Eyes hazel, Visage, Oval, Complexion, fresh. Other markings: Has lost left arm at the elbow and first joint
    of his right finger. Marks of a gunshot on abdomen, injury on nose. He was released on the 15th. October 1856 after serving the full
    term" - The original one armed Bandit :D

15. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Wonderful story, no wonder you were distracted.

I too have got lost in the people side - well its more interesting than just dates and names. My father's side were farmers in Somerset, and some of the reports on their doings were great fun.

For instance a relative was summoned for having been found drunk on licenced premises. The constable testified that the defendant was in a 'beastly condition of drunkeness', shouting "I don't care the the ***** police or anyone else". He was fined ten shillings and costs.

Could be now, but the fine would be a tad different :D :D

Great fun seeing what your ancestors got up to - not so much fun,looking at their life style in earlier years. We would not survive - too soft by far. :D