Who do you think you are

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Fran, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Have you joined Genes Reunited? http://www.genesreunited.co.uk

I have been able to contact people all over the world who are researching different branches of my family tree. Great to sawap research and even see photographs of your ancestors in other people's albums

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No - no yet, its not long on the scene and if its anything like Friends Reunited, totally dependant on people registering and inputing. I think I'll wait a bit. Thanks for the link

Most of the contacts I've made is through http://www.ancestry.co.uk and their trees (personal, public and world) and census and other info.- and other geneaology sites - and even a google search :D :D .

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    I have been tracing my family history for about
    6 months now.but have hit a brick wall with my great grandfather Henry,its a bit mind boggling really.
    My surname was my Grt/Grt/ grandmothers,she gave it to Henry,he was born in 1858 ( as they say out of wedlock).On his Birth certificate its got father unknown,so my grandfather,father,and myself have the wrong surname.Its so frustrating
    Not to be able to go forward on this side of the family.

4. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    hubby got into geneology and did both our families. He followed the line of the mothers. He found it was his side that had skeletons. Eg, criminals sent to oz, [​IMG] (even for stealing a flannel and a pair of stockings from employer) And he also has got back to having a relative to be the last publically hanged in cambridge, for poisoning his wife, [​IMG] whilst having an affair with the wifes sister who lived with them in a one bedroom cottage, The sister in law got shipped off to oz as she was pregnant and couldn't be hanged. [​IMG] [​IMG] Whilst it turned out a few of my ancestors were hero's heroines and just holier than thou, [​IMG] well me anyway.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Wiseoldowl - you may find his name, if you check the parish records. Whilst the birth certificate says father unknown (or not told), in those days, if the father was known but not recorded, sometimes the parish records, or local court records record that the father contributed money or refused,to the mother. They were expected to in those days.

If you can take a look at them for 10 years from the date of birth.