Who will be watching the World Cup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Penny in Ontario, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Well I was right about Mexico!

Lots of eye rolling over the gross over reaction to the England result.

Extra eye rolling to ITV coverage too. I think they are aiming to have parity between time given to the game and time given to adverts- including missing goals!

Has no-one spotted the muppetry in the screen grab then? :D

2. paulr

paulr Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I did - you would have expected them to notice South America given its joined to them.......Melinda I wonder if can you post the url for the chicago news pic that you posted earlier ?

Thanks in advance

Most games have been pretty awful so far - though wasnt the grass for Engerland v USA absolutely immaculate ? - looked like they were playing on a billiards table

3. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
  4. paulr

paulr Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes the football has been that boring..... hopefully it will get better

Actually it was during a slo-mo of JT slide tackling that we noticed how good the grass was...... so much easier than slide tackling on a red ash 'all weather' pitch (which was our school pitch) - was picking out the bits of shale from my knees & shins for years

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well, it's not all bad news. Wimbledon starts next week.:) Everybody can keep their flags flying 'till Andy Murray gets knocked out. I guess everyone will forget he's Scottish.:lollol:

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Strangely, not beingfootie people, we are Portuguese supporters and were disappointed in them today ... but I thought the Ivory Coast guys were thugs.

We then watched Brazil v N Korea and that was a good match. I'm now looking forward to Portugal playing Brazil ... No 3 playing No 1 ... I may also watch Spain ... No 2 ... :hehe:

7. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    I saw the N Korea and Brazil, and thought it was a good game, didnt see Ivory Coast though.

Yaaaaa Wimbledon..........we have relatives coming over to England for that, do every year.

8. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Not that you were biased at all Victoria, oh no! :D :lollol:

9. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi Wiseoldowl . Scotland Always takes the hardest route :( and get lost ON ROUTE :( music :cool:.

10. Penny in Ontario

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Getting ready to watch Germany now, and England this afternoon!!

11. Penny in Ontario

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Its reporting over here in Canada that David James will start todays match.

12. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Looks like there IS going to be a change to the England goalie. OMG! I've started to care! Off for an aspirin and a lie down.

13. maksim

maksim Gardener

Worker in Milan Malpensa Airport
    Castano Primo (Milan), 6 degrees south, 8 degrees
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well, millions of year ago, south america and africa were joint together...
    Not a big mistake, so... :hehe:

14. Surfer

Surfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    The England football team visited a Cape Town orphanage on Saturday.

"It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Jamal, aged 6.

The Algerian team seemingly complained to the Football association about the state of the pitch the other night. They say they have never played on a pitch with so much rubbish on it.. . .

15. maksim

maksim Gardener

Worker in Milan Malpensa Airport
    Castano Primo (Milan), 6 degrees south, 8 degrees
    Ratings:
    +59
    I am making the opinion that in a world cup "poor" teams do not exist.
    There is a great balance and also such teams that have not great football traditions can make problems to the great teams (Brazil, Italy, Germany, England, France, Spain, etc.).
    I would expect more from England. Expecially from Rooney.
    And I wonder if Crouch could play the whole games starting from the very beginning (from the kick-off).
    But we must say that football is made of episodes.
    If Green would have not made the mistake, England would have 4 points.
    Furthermore USA is a good team. Last year they achieved the final in the confederation cup in South-Africa. Then they lost the game against Brazil.
    My team - Italy - yesterday equalize against New Zealand !
    Unbelievable ! The world champions equalize against some "newzealander" that are surely very good at rugby but I would not think the same about football...
    Imagine if Italy rugby team would have made problems to the "All blacks" of New Zealand. I think that none of use could fancy that...
    But the point is - on my opinion - that Italy is now not as strong as their name would suggest...
    To be honest we (the Italy team) have not such excelent players as, for example, Brazil has (Kaka, Maicon, Elano, Robinho, etc), Argentina has (Messi, Milito, Di Maria, etc.), Portugal has (Cristiano Ronaldo, etc.).
    I am surprised about England that actually have such excelent players like Rooney, Gerard, etc. but are disappointing...
    Yesterday I was watching the game Italia - New Zealand in a Pub and all the people were so concerned as Italy were facing Brazil...
    "Come on guys ! We are facing New Zealand, after all !" I said.
    But the point is that Italy is, unfortunately, a poor team (on my opinion) and even a game against New Zealand (that should have such a score as ITALY 4 - NEW ZEALAND "nill") is a difficult game...
    I will probably be disattended and maybe, as it occurred on the last World cup, Italy will get the final...
    But my mind does not change: Italy was not the strongest team on Germany 2006 (although they won the final. At the penalty Shootout...) and, in the same way, they are not the strongest team in South Africa 2010. Maybe they are even worse. If any, because they are the same team of Germany 2006 but 4 years older...