Who will be watching the World Cup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Penny in Ontario, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Quite simple really. Football players are overpaid 'celebrity' primadonnas. The money they earn in a week for what they do is frankly obscene. But no wonder so many kids want to emulate them.

2. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Totally!

Which engcourages the Goldilocks defence!

Apparently in 2006 the camp set up was too lax, and this time round it was too strict...

Next time, the FA should make sure to personally survey the various serial cheaters, date rapists, thugs and Hello! regulars and find out EXACTLY what they need before they deign to play.

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    What I know about football could be written on a thumbnail with room to spare. But it's obvious even to me that the players are just not good enough. They're OK when they're playing for their respective clubs and have lots of (foreign) backup, but they just can't hack it as an all-English team. I don't see how it's going to get better. How many up and coming English players are there? When this lot get too old to play, they'll be an even smaller pool of players to choose from.

4. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Solution? Sack the Manager!

5. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    They are reporting over here, that part of the reason that David Beckham was on the bench, is that he is being "groomed" as a possible coach in 4 years.

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    We have two of the best teams playing tonight and our Portuguese flag is flying. Spain is a tight team ... both teams each have one of the world's best Forwards ... but Portugal has the better Goalkeeper. Força Portugal!

7. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Marco van Basten, Jurgen Klinsman, Diego Maradonna, Dunga... all suggest ex playes are a fruitful place to mine.

If he trains for a UEFA Pro Licence, he'll be qualified to manage at the top level.

8. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097

Thanks Melinda
    What an excellent informative post from one so young.
    You talk so much sence.....There IS a case for keeping Capello(although my first thought was to sack him)I don't think ANYONE else could do any better with the players we have at the moment.It's a chance to get everybody concerned round a table and sort out the problems and prepare a strategy for the feature.
    I too listen to Talk snort.......

9. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    :D Sporty type innit! From a sporty family, Ive been playing competitive sport since the age of 6.
    Played through school and uni.

Currently rowing, cricket, athletics ... in the winter months field hockey and footabll.

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Well, the best team won .. just sad it wasn't Portugal :( but I personally thought it was a good game ... I'll continue to watch Spain and Brazil but that's it and me for football for a few years ...

11. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097
    :) I was so pleased that Portugal lost,not for obvious reasons but because of their negative defend, defend ,defend,system......why why oh why do they have arguably the best striker in the world and don't make use of him.....Christiano Ronaldo we were all so looking forward to his silky skills......Did he play?:) :flag:

12. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Two planes landed in England yesterday, one with overpaid primadonnas, the other with seven coffins draped in union flags.�����which one is getting the most media coverage???? I know how passionate we footy fans are but hello, it's the plane getting no ...coverage... that holds the true heroes, RIP brave guys

( not my quote )

13. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Congrats to Paraguay too, this is the farthest they have gone.

14. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Well well, if the internet rumour mill is to be believed (!) we are a two week injunction away from discovering the reason for England's disarray and lack of team spirit.

Why did John Terry meltdown in that press conference?
    Why JT and Stevie Gerrard can barely stand the sight of each other let alone play together.

And then there is Cashley Cole and his 'I hate England and its ******* people' comment!
    Very similar to Wayne Rooney's opinions, no?

Lets hear it for the morality pervading English football!

*is so proud to have these men represent the country*

15. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I've never considered footballers to represent anything other than their own massively inflated egos. Did I mention that I think they're primadonnas? And as for their thicko wives/girlfriends....