Whos in the right ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by spudbristol, Jun 18, 2008.

1. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    could some one maybe say to the man or bring him round to see how his fence looks

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi,spud. No you can't, really. At the end of the day, it's not your problem. I can understand how you feel. Just another case of people walking over more vulnerable members of society because they know they can get away with it.
    However, as a gardener, you know how pernicious weeds turn up everywhere. Bits of bindweed can turn up in anyone's garden 'specially when the fence is only 4' high!!

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    :confused::confused::confused: Tweaky,

4. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for all the info that forum looks good ill have to join up :thumb:

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Its really interesting Spudbristol, I dont join in, I like to listen in :D

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Precisely:D.

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Very good site that Daisy.

The answer is to have good neighbours. Otherwise boundary problems can become a real nightmare.

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Your right Pete, I am Lucky, Good neighbours on both sides..:)

10. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Unless your deeds state which boundary is your responsibility they are shared boundaries.

11. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The boundry depends upon what is stated in the deeds. My mum lives in a terrace and the middle house has the boundry on both sides, then the houses to the left own the left side and the houses to the right own the right side.

I'd go for the Russian Vine option - if that isn't revenge, I don't know what is!

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    If its 4 inches away from the boundary, there might be overhangs on the roof, like a gutter that could be over your customer's side, that might be something the Council's planning office would get involved with. Also did the neighbour have planning permmsion? I know that conservatories don't always need PP, but we did when we had one for various reasons. As most councils have online access to planning applications it might be easy to check and even look at the plans.

Boundary disputes are very difficult and this is more complicated because it's not you. But it sounds like the neighbours are taking advantage of an old lady which is not fair. Perhaps she has grandchildren who can be encouraged to play footie with a proper big leather ball using the fence as a goal?

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    I have a few, non-expert, thoughts on the matter. :)

As some of you have said, the first thing is to contact Planning at the local council. Boundary disputes must be a common problem for them.

If I remember correctly, even if the person's plans don't say which is their boundary it can usually be seen on the drawings. They always used to put an L shaped mark on the boundary. If the bottom of the L is facing your garden then that is your fence. It also showed that the flat side of the fence would be on the neighbour's side.

Having said that, how do they know exactly where the boundary is? The thickness of a pencil line on a drawing must cover a few inches of land :eek:

The conservatory is, presumably, attached to the house and may, or may not have required planning permission. This depends on whether the house has had any extensions in the past and the size of the conservatory in relation to the house. Even then, there are rules about how close to the boundary the conservatory can be. If the two buildings are detached then it is quite often the rule that the extension should be one metre from the boundary. To have it closer can require planning permission and if they did get permission the elderly person would have received notification of it from the council.

If I was asked to adjudicate the matter I would first try and do it in a friendly manner. The neighbour may have done all this innocently and not realised that they have upset the elderly person. Some one should attempt to have a friendly chat to the neigbour and bring them round to look at it, but first make sure that they understand what the elderly person really thinks about it.

Does the conservatory bother her?
    What does she want done about the fence and is it practical?
    Is it worth the hassle to cause problems through Planning and have the neighbour upset?
    Would she be happy if the neighbour put a nice trellis on her side and helped with putting plants in to grow up it?

There are other questions that I might raise but they needn't bother if the two of them can reach an amicable solution.

Good luck :)

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I was thinking just the same JWK and was wondering if the neighbours had planning permission. It doesn't cost nothing but a phone call to find out and one's things for sure if they needed planning permission and didn't get it then the council will sort it out after all they have the time and money to go the whole hog unlike us mere mortals.

Lets face it to treat any neighbour like this is terrible but a vulnerable person isn't on at all, some people need to remember how things effect others around them before doing what they like and I for one think thats what the problem is with Britian today many people think to hell (there's a pun there!) with others as long as I'm alright woe betide if anything like this happens to them when they are elderly.Hel.xxx.

15. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well ive still not been activated on that forum :rolleyes:
    the neighbour at the time the building was started promised to put up a fence and he and his wife know how crap it looks :mad: the conservatory dosnt boather her as such just one window in it overlooking her garden dose there wasnt any planning either the neighbour is being a a$$hole about it an i cant stand that its not my place i know but if i can help her i will people like them make me sick :mad:

And yes one part of the gutter overhangs her property by about a foot where they joined it on to her downpipe she basically wants a fence put up propperly not to much to ask is it :(