who's your nemesis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ryan.c, Aug 3, 2011.

1. CostasK

CostasK Gardener

UI/UX Designer
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for the tips @fairygirl!

• Like Like x 1
    • Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Gardener

Ratings:
      +129
      For me:
      -Germinating any lettuce variety other than Valdor
      -Keeping any kind of kiwi alive
      -Getting any fruit from an aubergine
      -Getting through a week of gardening without the neighbours' cat sh*t on my shoes

• Like Like x 2
      • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,932
        My nemesis's? are brambles crawling over the banks from the fields surrounding my garden, a course, clump forming field grass which blows in from the fields, goat willow which is taking over the fields and bracken which is invading my garden. I feel I am on a hiding to nothing.

• Donna Crossman

Donna Crossman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +16
        For some reason I cannot grow poppies
        I’ve had 4 tries now and considering they are a wild flower, they will not thrive for me

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
        Ratings:
        +3,977
        They need disturbed soil, @Donna, and the poorer, the better. Also they like lots of sun. If you rake over a suitable patch and then chuck some seeds down, they should take. Do it in summer, which is when their seeds would fall in the wild. You may not get them in the same place two yrs in a row unless you disturb the soil again.

• hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
        +888
        Well apart from Vetch, I have another post going on that anathema! my annoyance is tropaeolum speciosm. I tried buying it a few times, disaster all died. Then a friend told me you have to steal it! She had some so told me to go hunting while she went off to make tea….well actually it was more wine to be accurate! This is not an easy task as where it appears is usually nowwhere near where it is planted.After many holes dug I eventually hit “ oil” and dug some up, success, just the excuse for more wine!
        Planted my “ stolen plant” and it has flourished BUT, funny how there is a but, it never come up where I want it. I thought it would look wonderful meandering through a Sambucas Black Lace so planted it close. No chance the damned thing grows all over a Magnolia which was not the effect I wanted and it is hard now to see it as the Sambucas is in the way. If anybody has a bright idea how I can get thing thing to behave let me know!

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,886
        My Tropaeolum speciosum was bought and has grown well; however it has never flowered.
        As for my nemesis take your pick from my brother, a variety of teachers and especially my headmaster who wanted to cane me for my bad writing.

• Funny Funny x 1