Why has GC got so complicated?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by lindyco, Dec 7, 2009.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455

But that is because they don't know what a preposition is or what some words are important as. They also don't know how to tell what they are different from. :hehe:

I'm pleased that the members of GC accept that we wrinklies are entitled to our foibles and eccentricities :old: as we do theirs. :)

For many years I have been training to be a grumpy old man and expect to qualify very soon :D. I try never to extend my training practice to include GC which is a good lesson in restraint. I have applied to join Statler and Waldorf but still await a response.

I spotted your 'elf and safety comment and appreciated it. :gnthb:

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Well I hold my hand up to the fact that sometimes I make spelling mistakes at times due to my brain decline {senility} plus the time of the day I am posting,sometimes forget to use paragraphs,full stops and any thing else you can think of.Will try to start using a dictionary from the new Year:lollol:

I'll try to stop posting long blogs in the mornings as from January 1st 2010 so I won't bore you all with my ramblings and will try to cut back on the signatures if they are too much for the old wrinklies eyes:D

I have got used to the snowy skin but hate being tango'd with the orange skin,still can't get the time to come right since the clocks changed or to get the skin to stay permanatley at the colour i choose no matter what box I tick etc.I switch off the computer and when I come back it has turned orange again.:oops::p

Apart from that I hope you all have a great Christmas wherever you celebrate it:flag::D

PS I also don't play arcade games either in cyber land or on here as I just don't have the time to sit here for hours on end playing the games but each to their own.I may go and look to see who has been in there,but that is about it.Now I must dash as I have so much to do this afternoon,so see you all tomorrow:luv::santa::mrrychrb:

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oh yes there are:lollol:

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    "I'm reliably informed" that most boards are programmed to take a post, which has perfectly composed grammar and without any spelling mistakes evident, in the "preview post" stage and add some, in the act of pressing "submit reply."

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    That explains why posts show my poor grasp of the language then, at least that's my excuse and I am sticking with it lol.

6. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    at the end of the day this is a friendly site (and i hope it remains so)if people make spelling mistakes on their threads or posts (big deal). we understand what they are saying if punctuation is not proper,or spelling is not correct (big deal). if they use the wrong size of fonts (big deal).we are not all university graduates . and memebers should not need to
    (APOLOGISE) for an error in spelling or any other things that are not to the satisfaction of some (nit pickers ) (smart ar*** ) this is a garden forum not an X FACTOR.

SORRY IF I HAVE MADE ANY SPELLING MISTAKES , NO I,M NOT music. :cool:

7. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Err..

Are you suggesting there's better grammar on X-Factor?

I must watch it and check it out!

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    "at the end of the day this is a friendly site"

It is a lot friendlier than some, being a user of youtube, I am often horrified by the abuse on it-really disgusting abuse levelled out at strangers.

The atmosphere here must have something to do with the fact it is a gardening forum, I think gardeners are the nicest sort of people you could ever hope to meet, and along with our average age that brings maturity. So a huge thankyou to all the members of this site-the lifeblood of the forum.

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Hmmm, declension on X-Factor. Can't see it myself...

I belong to a couple of motorbike forums and the 'discussions' are a lot more heated than here. Then again bikers are a tough lot who don't suffer fools gladly.

10. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I put stuff on YouTube, but once it's downloaded you can choose to stop people making comments and voting on your clip, you can't pick and choose, it's a case of "either or." I always choose this option.

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    My daughter is a huge fan of someone called Lady Gaga ( ? ) and at 12 she shouldn't be exposed to that sort of stuff, is there anyway I can exclude the comments completely from ALL the clips - those of other submitters-do you know?

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Well, folks, reps and £GC are actually inactive and irrelevant. They are go great guns on other forums but no-one took to them here so they are, I think, inactive or perhaps just unused.

Truth is, this site is rapidly becoming a victim of its own success and is currently costing a not inconsiderable sum to keep running. Hopefully the arrival of PCMedic will mean that we will have our own in-house maintenance guy. Watch this space!

Anyway, much of this is in your own hands.

1. reps can be turned off (made invisible) in your UserCP > Edit Options > untick "Show Your Reputation Level"

2. signatures can also be turned off in the same way - UserCP > Edit Options > Visible Post Elements > untick "Show Signatures", "Show Avatars"

3. ads can be hidden by utilising the appropriate FireFox feature but I wouldn't know about that! :wink:

4. Spellchecker is also a browser feature not a forum feature. vB has no spell checker.

Hope this helps some!

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  14. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    hi doghouse . obviously you have not listened to Cheryl Coles dulsit tones!!:wink::wink:
    i mean she smells lovely
    sorry ,a freudian slip
    i mean she spells lovely.:wink::wink:
    dont know a word she,s saying , BUT BY GOD ,SHE LOOKS GOOD SAYING IT:wink:.

15. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

Err..

Dulsit?

I thought they sold shoes!

(sorry!)