1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why so much moss in my lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by hedgefog, Oct 18, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Yeah, they made me wonder at times, because I never see them doing any work on their lawn apart from mowing.

But they have good sunlight all day because they don't have any trees or plants. Maybe that's the secret? :)

No, still doesn't convince me. It is still mystery to me. It is just grass on the other side of fence to me :)

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,636
    This is indeed suspicious. Perhaps your neighbours have removed the blade from their mower and replaced it with a wire which hits "freshly cut grass" scented air refreshener pouches as they happily push the thing back and forth on sunny weekends? :scratch::biggrin:

We have some borderline militant Keeping Up With The Joneses around here :snorky:

Anyways, good luck with the lawn hedgefog, with knowledge on what you are doing plus some hard labour it should be fine. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      A little tip but most Autumn Lawn feeds that contain iron are fairly low in its percentage. You need to apply at full strength but it’s not meant as a moss killer but toughens up the grass plant and helps to deter moss. It will kill a percentage of moss but a lawn that’s thick with moss needs a heavy hand and with the temps falling away means you have to be a tad careful if you use any type of mechanical scarifier.
      You can group moss into 3 groups that help to narrow down the problem.
      Upright mosses, normally dry acid conditions and not a huge problem.
      Tufted or the mat covering/forming, acid soil and it’s fairly common to scalp this type of moss with the mower. If not treated this type develops and continues to spread if not treated.
      Trailing fern type moss which are found on poor drainage, shade and areas that have a high fibre content.
      It could be as simple as drainage, low Ph or low fertility so it’s best to find the remedy if you want to clear the moss.

• Like Like x 1
      • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
        +69
        I am thinking of cutting down some of the tall trees blocking the sunlight into the lawn.

I was giving coffee ground to the lawn as well. Will also add ashes from log stove and top soil.

It rained here last night, and still raining this afternoon, and the lawn looks a but greener than a few days ago.

In my case, I was not even using any scarifier, but just raking away, and moss was coming out in tons of loads, and suddenly the lawn turned into brown with many patchy parts.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Post a pic if possible, let’s have a look at the lawn and it’s situation. Will help us to see what’s what.

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
        +69
        Will do, if I could remember taking phone with me when going out to the garden :)

I took down 3x trees on the South of the lawn. Should get more Sunlight into the lawn now.

What a load of work to clear out. Will give me some wood carving woods from the fell trees.

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          Nice one @hedgefog that will certainly make a huge difference and quite quickly if you are feeding it too.. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
          • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
            +69
            You can see a
            stump on the right far away, where a birch tree was cut a few days ago.
            Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 23.09.59.png tree

I am aerating the lawn with the edger. Seems a lot easier and faster than using a fork or standing on aerater.

• hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
            +69
            Another angle view to the lawn. Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 23.15.00.png