Wickes GP compost 2012

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Loofah, Mar 11, 2012.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,174
    What! Do something underhand like that! Never!!! :mute:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    What sort of "Never" do you mean? !!

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,174
    As in the song - The Twelfth of Never :heehee: ("and that's a long long time")

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,690
      I popped to Wickes yesterday to spend my £5 voucher, there wasn't anything else I needed. Their compost is now reduced to £1.99/bag. This might just be my local store so I bought a lot more than I intended to.

It does appear a bit nicer looking than the stuff they were selling in the spring, it's now more peaty looking and the woody bits aren't so obvious. Even though it looked useless I found the new formulation in the spring was just as good as anything else I bought for potting on, although not as seed sowing compost. I'll be going back to get some more, looks like they are trying to get rid of it before the end of season.

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,174
      We were quite careful in assessing the compost and although the potted on plants did OK they needed a lot more watering than those in other compost. I'm not sure how it works but it did seem to absorb more water but then lost it quicker :scratch:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      May be irrelevant for things that grow quickly in Spring, like Toms, but I've gone to a much more "open mix" and I think the plants have developed better as a result - and less/no moss/algae on the top.

I've used Arthur Bowers Multipurpose for years, mostly cos my local Garden Centre stocks it so its convenient and they do 4-for-3 quite often. Bag sized reduced from 75L to 60L this year, and now £12 for 3 (or 4-for-3 when available) - so 5p/L

I add 2 Litres (a 2L pot full :blue thumb:) of Perlite to 1/3rd of the bag - so about 10%

Anyways, this also has the effect that it drains more quickly, and needs more watering as a result. You may have read that I have been using capillary matting this year so, for me, its become a non-issue - just fill up the reservoir for the "supply" to the capillary matting morning and evening and job done.

(Could be automated even, but I prefer to use rainwater and the muck in my water butt would probably clog a pump, plus having to water them does mean that I actually look at the plants in the greenhouse twice a day, and then spot things that need doing / bugs that need killing!)

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +122,174
        We have cappilary matting in the greenhouse (probably need ot change it as it's been down years) but only on the benches. I also have a drip feed system on the matting that I haven't plugged in for years :doh:. Nowadays it's just a matter of dragging the hose to the greenhouse when we water the pots, baskets and nursery beds.

• JWK

Ratings:
        +48,690
        Yes I found it does dry out quickly and takes a bit more wetting when it is dry. I've been using it today to pot on my Brugmansias, I've been adding a sprinkle of water retaining gel to help them along.

I also used it to mulch my strawberries.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Sorry, a bit off topic, but I've stopped using Water Retaining Gel. I read some scaremongering that the break-down products may well be harmful, and I couldn't be sure that spent compost from tubs and containers (i.e. containing water retaining gel) would go on the compost heap / get mixed in with other compost used for growing on veg. etc. - I'd be completely hopeless at segregating spent compost I'm afraid!

Can't remember if I have mentioned it before, sorry if I have.

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          From Wickes website this morning:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/200246

wickesrubbish2.png

So it appears as if:

1) The only change is that they've removed the signs warning it's not suitable for seeds.

or

2) Wickes say one thing instore and another online.

or

3) Both 1 & 2.

• Like Like x 1
          • Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,997
            A couple of days ago I checked out the gardening area of Wickes to see if perhaps they were actually going to reintroduce their good old multi purpose compost.

There was only half a dozen or so bags of the new (rubbish) 70 litre (not suitable for seeds) stuff about, but I saw several pallets of unopened 75 litre compost in similar livery up on their high level storage racking.

Is this the replacement of their good old stuff that we were promised last year?

• JWK

Ratings:
            +48,690
            Let's hope so Scrungee.

Was the old 70 litre stuff still discounted?

• Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,997
            Wickes might call it 'discounted' @ four 70L bags for £15, but it was four 75L bags for £10 only a few years ago (remember those times when it was actually cheaper to buy four bags, than to get three?) which is an increase of over 60%!

• Like Like x 2
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +48,690
              Out of interest I called into Wickes this evening just to browse their compost, there were only the 70L bags there, no sign of any other 75L bags. They were selling the 70L bags at £1.99 in the autumn, I stocked up with a few then.

• shiney

Ratings:
              +122,174
              Last year they were selling them at £13 for 4 but I managed to get them down to £12 as they couldn't tell which was the new improved batch and which was the old batch - they had the same packaging. They told me that all their stock was new so it had to be the new batch, but they had left the £12 sign up so gave it to me at that price.

When I got it home it turned out to be the old (bad) batch. I phoned them and said I want my money back and can they come and pick up the bags. The manager told me to pop in to get my refund at any time and I could keep the compost. His comment was "I'd only have trouble selling it again and I'm fed up with it."

I received an email from Wickes yesterday giving me a £10 voucher. Have any of you received yours?

• Like Like x 1