Wild Flowers you have seen while out walking....!

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Marley Farley, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Lovely photo Roders,I think poppies always look good when there are lot's of them [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      [​IMG]

Took ths recently in my local quarry nature reserve dont know what it is mind

• rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
    • rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
    • rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
    • walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      Rosa the yellow one looks like Berberis Darwinii the blue flower Vinca Major

• rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      hi walnut, I assume they are wild flowers in fact the yellow is a large tree it is in the nature reserve, such a beautiful tree i just loved the flowers on it

• Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
      +35
      Lovely pics roders and rosa.

We have the Vinca in our garden, it's a really good ground-covering plant and I've often made the tiniest posies of the flowers. I think we must have the Vinca minor as ours is only about 10-15 cm tall. I have some of the other in a glass waiting for roots to appear but even after 5-6 weeks still nothing. Should I just plant it out as is?

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,157
      It's poppy time here, too. Must try to photo the orange groves where the poppies carpet them.

Love that path, rosa ... a water colour perhaps?

• kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Beautiful photographs as usual. You are all accomplished photographers as well as gardeners. I'll do my best to keep up but only got a digi camera 2 weeks ago and still finding my way around it. Still, practice, practice.
      Because of an accident 3 weeks ago I have not been able to go walking but today I managed to get out for a while up behind our village and was amazed. I have missed so much.
      Here are just some of the things I saw today. Photographs do not do them justice I'm afraid.

These foxgloves went on for about 50 metres or more. I couldn't get them all in the photo as they disappeared around the bend and up the hill.

[​IMG]

This was the only Field Scabios I could find that hadn't gone over or been battered by the rain.

[​IMG]

Look at this poor little thing....... bless. Can just about see it.

[​IMG]

Don't know this tree but there were quite a few like it.

[​IMG]

I just thought this looked nice even though it has finished - whatever it was in the first place.

[​IMG]

That's all for now as I still cannot walk too far. When I'm better I'll venture further. In the meantime I'll console myelf with all your lovely photos.

A bientot.

• Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
      +35
      Hi Kryssy, nice pics and I'd have loved to see all those foxgloves marching on. The tree is a sweet chestnut so you won't have to buy any in the autumn or for Christmas, lucky you!

• kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi K-G. Well - I never knew sweet chestnut trees looked like that. I'm such a twit.
      The funny thing is that when they are ready in about November time we go out up the hill and collect bag loads of them. They are everywhere. The only trouble is they are little b*ggers to peel. I've roasted them; boiled them; grilled them and soaked them for days. I saw a post on a french forum which said that the guy put them in the washing machine on the silk setting while his wife was in UK. Crikey!! I haven't tried that one.

So, anyone with any other suggestions? Perhaps another post on another thread.

Anyway, thank you for the information. First class as usual.

This is such a great forum..........................

• Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
      +35
      I'm not overly keen on them but Hubby is and he only eats them roasted. He just makes a slash in the flat part of it and then pops it into the fire to roast. We have one of these roasting baskets now so it is easier to turn them over and get them out.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,157
      Hi, kryssy. The sweet chestnuts are a big thing here too. Other than roasting over coals, you can make stab them and put them on a baking tray in the oven until they are crispy on the outside.

• Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi, Kryssy!
      Your last pic looks like Egyptian Onion - Allium cepa aggregatum, sometimes just called A. cepa. It's grown as a garden plant and also either native or widely naturalised. The bulbils it grows in place of flowers are edible.... Wonder if they'd do as the baby onions for a good ole coq au vin... and if so, are we invited???