Wildfarmed bread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Debs64, May 7, 2024.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,219
    I can't stand the bloke

2. Debs64

Debs64 Gardener

Ratings:
    +311
    Neither can I but fiancé doesn’t mind him and I must admit the programme is interesting especially to someone like me city born and bred and now living in the suburbs I had not realised how tough life can be for farmers.

3. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I'm not surprised that Marks is selling it @Debs64 . I expect a tiny loaf will be about a fiver too :biggrin:

I know nothing about it all , but I'm guessing it's not dissimilar to sowing a green manure on bare soil for over autumn/winter, before digging in and planting/sowing a crop of something in spring?

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +49,219
      It is a very tough life, people see farmers driving in big posh cars and think they are all millionaires. Well a few are especially those that own their land and had buildings they could sell or rent to see them through. The majority are like my family, most of my uncles were tenant farmers and making a profit isn't guaranteed. My Dad was a farm manager and was only paid a low wage same as most farm workers, compensated with a tied cottage that had to be vacated at the landlords whim.
      My grandfather lost his farm in the great depression as did many others, farms stood empty until ww2. Suicide rates are very high in the industry, long anti social hours and poor prices driven down by supermarkets don't help.

So if Clarkson opens people's eyes to all that I welcome it.

Sorry a bit off topic, but thinking laterally if a few farmers find a niche like wildbread and customers are happy to pay a bit more then that's a good thing.

• Like Like x 3
      • SherwoodArrow

SherwoodArrow Loam wasn't built in a day.

Ratings:
        +125
        I’m from a tenant farming family and a long line of agricultural labourers, as a child I could never understand why people said farmers were rich!

On Clarkson’s farm they do harvest both the beans and the wheat, the musicians then take the whole lot and separate it. Caleb (the farm manager) and the other farm man (not Jeremy) were sceptical but it did grow.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Debs64

Debs64 Gardener

Ratings:
          +311
          It is a little bit more expensive @fairygirl but not ridiculous. I have a personal preference for sourdough bread which is quite pricey anyway but as I no longer have a houseful of children to feed I do try to shop in a way that’s slightly more environmentally friendly if I can. I don’t mind paying a bit more if I can support farmers and small businesses but unfortunately most of the profits seem to be taken by the big supermarkets.

• Like Like x 1