Wildflower of the Week

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Hornbeam, Sep 23, 2006.

1. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I do; the double form U. europaeus 'Plenus'. It will tolerate alkaline soils too, and doesn't spread, doesn't require pruning, doesn't get eaten by rabbits. Great! I Believe that monks used to make a liqueur out of the flowers. How's that for an example of mortification of the flesh for future bliss?

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This morning, I came across this colony of Helleborus foetidus (Stinking Hellebores) in Hatfield Forest. I'll revisit them when the flowers open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Nick the Grief

Nick the Grief Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely thread Guys, [​IMG]

The botom of my garden is a bit of a tip and has been since we moved in 20 years ago!! One day I keep promosing myself to make it into a wildlife garden rather than a wild garden so keep the inspiration coming and one day I may well cut those two remaning conifers down ......

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you dont really need to cut the connifers down as you can get wild flowers that grow in the shade and hedgerow..they could grow round your trees..I have them growing in shade and light and some that like bog areas..Its not hard work making a wildflower garden as i made one last year ..it needs very little work and gives you great pleasure..

5. Nick the Grief

Nick the Grief Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wildflower,

Ah but if I cut the conifers down I can see the Holly & Hawthorn thats behind them - much nicer to look at methinks :D

I know it's not hard it's just a case of finding the time thats the trouble :(

6. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have lots of hawthorn it really is nice to look at..i also like holly..i cut the lower branches off my connifers on the front garden about 3 foot off the ground and i had flowers around the base..then i removed them all together..i have plenty round the back..i fill every little space.. :D :D

7. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mid December and bramble is in flower again!

[​IMG]

8. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Helleborus foetidus ... Nice find :cool:

9. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The Stinking Hellebore is just coming into flower.

[​IMG]

10. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Silly question but [​IMG] do they smell?

11. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but not dreadfully. It is a musky sort of scent and I assume it's to attract pollinating flies. Just wondered what sort of flies would be out and about in winter though

12. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks HB, good question regarding the flies!
    I wish I knew the answer.

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Good photos Hornbeam I have never seen them in the wild only in a pot thanks for sharing

14. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Epping Forest. Gorse, furze or whin (depending on where you live) is the wildflower of the week. But as it can be found in flower every month of the year, it could be the wild flower of every week. Seems surprising that we haven't welcomed it into our gardens as it forms a neat, constantly flowering shrub that would make an ideal prickly hedge.

[​IMG]

Epping Forest looked particulaly lovely in this afternoon's sunshine, but many trees were down folowing Thursday's storms

[​IMG]

15. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    What a superb thread - with wonderful pictures!

A couple of memories of gorse come to mind. First is dying boiled eggs with gorseflowers as a child around Easter time, and second, of an idyllic walk in April, with the sun becoming warm - the coconut scent of the gorse filling the air!

Gorse would indeed make a great hedge!