Wildflowers of Portugal

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Victoria, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    And now for the unidentified ones ....

[​IMG]

Close up of above ..

[​IMG]

These were five foot tall ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And every part of this shrub, barring the petals, was prickly ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ 30. September 2007, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Lady of Leisure ]

2. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    Babe, was there something special or odd about the Arum/Calla Lily, called a Jarro here?

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Beautiful pics again Sis, hope you get them ID'd. If you see these yellow lupins with seed pods later on, please send me a couple, thanks!

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    more lovely pics to add to your collection

5. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Gosh - have I been away that long??!
    I've tried to find your unidentified flowers, LoL, but I don't have handbooks for your area, as you know. There are eight pix in your post... no.3 looks like crocosmia hybrid - a garden escape - but I've never seen them 5 feet tall - so that seems unlikely. Leaves are right but the flowers look a bit too defined in shape.
    No. 4 is a thistle or knapweed but it's unfamiliar to me. Woolly thistle perhaps? Does that grow near you?
    No. 5 looks like "sea carrot" (Daucus carota) which I came across on the Gower peninsular - same low habit and hemispherical heads.
    No. 7 is wild thyme - there seem to be two sorts, one with round and one with pointed leaves. I think the round-leaved one is called "serpolet" here.
    No. 8 ..... all I can find that looks even vaguely like it is Perennial Sunflower - another possible garden escape as it's an introduced species.
    The others? Sorry, I haven't a clue!! :rolleyes:

One of us will have to invest in an extensive guide to Iberian flora.... sounds expensive!!

6. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh the pink one...drool..drool... [​IMG] and that gorgeous spiky orange droopy thing [​IMG] [​IMG] Wish I had things like that growing in the hedges! [​IMG]

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    Hyla, I'll speak to you tomorrow about these.

windy, isn't it to die for? Maybe I should go back and dig up some bulbs because it looks like a bulb.

Waco gave me a name for the tall orange thingy .... Lochianella (but her spelling is much to be desired ... love you darling [​IMG] ) and I can't find it. Hyla?

Anything rooting or seeding with you, windy? [​IMG]

8. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    'Fraid I can't find a "lochianella" in any of my guides of either garden plants or wildflowers - French or English! There are lobelia spp. that can get to six feet - but the flowers aren't the same....!!

(signed)
    Puzzled of Quercy....!!!!

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    Calling Waco, calling Waco ... are you out there?

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    Hy, Hyla, I'm back having looked up your IDs.

3. We have Crocosmia wild here and I know it's not that. The flowers on these giants were like big bells.
    4. Yes, we have Wooly Thistle here and you could be right but I'm not sure about the leaves. My book says it blooms from July-September ... maybe early this year?
    5, I think you're right with the Sea Carrot. I did look at that (called Wild Carrot in my book) but was put off when it said it grew 75cm tall as this was low growing.
    7. There is a Thymus camphoratus native to Southern Portugal only growing on stony ground (which this was) flowering April-July. It says it's aromatic but I didn't crush the leaves ... maybe I should start doing that.
    8. I don't think it's a Sunflower but had thought it might be Inula Crithmoides (Golden Samphire)which grows on sea cliffs as all of these plants were (excluding pictures 1, 2 and 3).

Well, I think the Wooly Thistle, Sea Carrot and Thyme are correct, thank you.

Mentioning the Gower, this is a picture I took there many moons ago and had blown up onto canvas. 'Tis not far from my birthplace.

[​IMG]

(Sorry about the flashback).

11. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, we may be getting somewhere! Not convinced by Golden Samphire, though - that has leaves all the way up the flower stalk, I think. Also the central "boss" is wider than the length of the petals... I've got a shot or two of it somewhere, but my colour slides are all still out of order from our last house move, so I just don't know where anything is!!!

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    We stopped at our friends on our way out and I could resist taking these pics on their lane. Morning Glory is a problem here and strangles everything, including orange trees.

Ipomoea tricolour and Convolvulus althaeoides ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wild Lillies ...

[​IMG]

Echinops sphaerocephlus ...

[​IMG]

Digitalis (Foxglove) ...

[​IMG]

Pulmonaria (I think) ...

[​IMG]

I think this looks more like Lathryus (Sweet Pea) than Vicia Satina (Common Vetch) but won't swear to it (I got a couple of pods but they are not ready) ...

[​IMG]

... to be continued ...

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    ... continued ...

Wild Blackberry ...

[​IMG]

Wildflowers en masse ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grasses ...

[​IMG]

Succulents ...

[​IMG]

... and a shrub I haven't IDd yet ..

[​IMG]

14. Hyla arborea

Hyla arborea Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Pulmonaria looks right, LoL, and that's Everlasting Sweet Pea, too - the stems are a giveaway. But there are two sorts, broad-leaved and narrow-leaved, and I can't tell which it is. The flower colour is unusual, too. Me likey dat!!

15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,486
    Hi, Hy! They were narrow leafed and quite unlike the purple Everlasting Pea I had in Bucks. These are definitely bright pink and not as large and invasive as the others I knew. I've never seen them here before.

I have two unripe pods with seeds ... do you think ?????