1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bargain Wilko's Half Price Sale

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by Bilbo675, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Let me just correct that..

Certain people DO think of others and ARE unselfish

Thanks to a certain person here I was helped to save £50 off my seed bill, that same person then went on to help a few others do similar on that very same topic, working selflessly to do so.

There are many other examples of that same person doing exactly the same thing for lots of members here over the years, he must have saved GC members thousands of pounds!

Take a bow Scrungee, I applaud you !

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      One word comes immediately to mind and that is GREED.

" Certain people DO think of others and ARE unselfish ".

REALLY..... You must be using a different dictionary to me.

What about people who can only get 1 bag at a time, and when they return they find that someone has bought the whole lot.

And, anyway, what's the point of posting a tip if you're going to go around all your local stores emptying them. Where's the tip ?

It's like if I said " Go to Iceland they're selling the bags of Roast Potatoes off at 20p a bag. Oh hang on a minute, you can't I've just bought them all hehehe ".

• Disagree Disagree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
        Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,698
        I'm really sorry about that Anthony, I guess you cannot see what the rest of us see/have seen/have benefited from.

However, I respect your point of view even though I disagree with it.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          Carry on what you're doing @Scrungee , you have saved us £100's of pounds over the last couple of years with your tip offs and recommendations :)

@Anthony Rogers I think most of GC will have to agree to disagree with you on this one, hope you have a great weekend gardening :)

• Agree Agree x 2
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            What isn't nice and is greedy IMO is when a supermarket decides to reduce a whole load of an item as they're getting near their sale by date and some bas.... gets the elbows out stopping other shoppers from maybe getting a bargain and hogs the lot! I all but ended up on the floor when I spied some Turkeys were being reduced on Christmas Eve and thought I'd get 1 to put in the freezer. Some, shall we say large (hugely fat) man pounced on the whole lot (about 10 big turkeys) and pulled the 1 I had picked up out of my hands. "That's mine" says he, pushing me backward...went back at speed as you do when hit with the human equivalent of an African Elephant in full flight. WELL I decided I really was NOT prepared to belittle myself by having a stand up row with him. I just wished him a happy Christmas and said "Do remember it's the season of good will"...my ar.. and suggested he boiled the Turkeys for at least 8 hours as being very close to their sell by date they'd be riddled with Salmonella and unless he was very careful he'd go down with a good doze of food poisoning:). I'm sure if Scrungee had his eye on something that there was loads of and another person showed interest he'd be willing to share with them.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            I find the notion of driving around all of one's local Wilkos, many of which don't always have the same offers, and perhaps none having any stock, probably paying for parking, and only buying a bag or two of something reduced by only 80p incredibly silly.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
              Ratings:
              +1,217
              Scrungee. Do you have every episode of ' The Good Life on DVD.? Meant in the nicest possible way! He he. All the best mate.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              All bulbs smothered with 50% off marked price signs.

Bought another 20 bags of 15L/20p compost. Mrs Scrungee suggested that I was being excessive. In addition to mixing with my heavy clay soil to fill raised beds, they'll also be handy for topping up 42L potato bags, and then chucked in raised bed after harvesting.

Used to find it really funny, but doesn't seem quite so funny when you're actually doing most of it yourself.

I've always fancied a rotorvator drawn trailer with seats to get to my plot, collect stuff from local skips, etc. but wife wont let me (although somebody with a plot near mine has a single seated one).

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
              Ratings:
              +7,623
              Nowt to do with gardening kit - but worth mentioning as I have never seen this product half price in any of the shops..

Sensodyn repair and protect toothpaste - half price £2 a tube.

I purchased 3 tubes - I couldn't afford not to :doh:.

• Like Like x 1
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,623
                Life's too short to worry about how many bags of compost people are buying.

I'm more worried about why my Jasmine has yellow leaves :thumbsup:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,997
                Another town, another Wilkos:

Ss wooden handled forks and spades £5 (reduced from £15)
                Ss wooden handled lawn rakes, not sure if these were 2 or 5 pounds
                Plastic handled shovels £2
                120mm x 50 seed labels 20p (reduced from £1)

All bulbs 50% off, same as everywhere else, so got

4 x 2.5 Kg bags of daffs for £1.25 each 50p/Kg (none in my local store), counted contents of 1 bag and there were 36 bulbs/bag, hope to get 12 bunches next year @ 41p each then free. My existing daffs seem to be getting a bit tired, so everything into a new bed with some bonemeal and hope for bumper crop next year.

Another thing they didn't have in my local store was garlic bulbs so got 2 x packs of 3 Casablanca garlic bulbs, just split one into 8 cloves, so 4p/clove.

But OH NO!!!, Look what I saw outside, thought it must be a mistake, so got a price check inside and it was back to £1. They said it did go down to 20p, but were told that it was a mistake and they were told to put the price back up again. I know different Wilkos can have different prices, and this store may be out of sync with others, but a reason to pounce when something's at bargain price because if you dither (or perhaps leave for others?) it can be back at full price the next day.

wilko mpc 1 quid.jpg

I've posted quite a few like that, bed bug spray, fake plastic ears, coloured wigs, giant teddy bears, bubble wands, orang utans, etc. Always worth posting in case somebody wants them whilst grabbing/searching for some gardening bargains.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
                "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
                Ratings:
                +4,445
                Nothing in my local Wilkos Sunday, and stuff that had been reduced back up to full price.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,623
                You've got to strike when the irons hot.

Same as those water butts on the Tesco web site - £5 each - I managed to bag one of these before they went back up.

It's all down to timing.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Scrungee

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  Noticed about half the colours of Wilkos 5L Timbercare were reduced to £3 instore yesterday, the others were £4.50 (sure they were all £6 earlier this year?), only ones I remember were Country Brown and (Ever?) Green.

All showing as £4.50 online http://www.wilko.com/exterior-paint/wilko-timbercare-country-brown-5ltr/invt/0074038

Long handled paving brushes for scraping off weeds were reduced to £2.50. Also online http://www.wilko.com/hand-tools/heavy-duty-weed-brush/invt/0338560

Based on earlier years, after the Christmassy gardening stuff gets reduced over the next few weeks, it's going to go very quiet on this thread until sometime like June 2016.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
                  • Scrungee

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    All gardening stuff now back in Wilkos. Now need to wait about 6 months for the reductions. Seeds are buy 3 get cheapest free.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
                  Thread Status:
                  Not open for further replies.