1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by wiseowl, Feb 13, 2015.

1. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Oh Ecky thump! I have windows 7 on here, a 4 year old Hp desk top and I have 8.1 on an Hp laptop which I never use..........(it was bought as a back up when I had problems on here which turned out to be Virgins fault not mine ) ..whats the advice with regard to Windows 10 please bearing in mind I am disabled and live for my internet?

• Like Like x 1
    • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +4,586
      No-one in Microsoft sent me any messages about a free upgrade. :( :(

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        Hello @moyra - it is a personal choice obviously but I think if I were in your position, if everything is running ok for you with your present setup and you are happy with it I would sit tight and do nothing, especially if you are not a technie (you don't say) and don't want to run any risks of a probem after upgrading. You can then review your decision during the year without losing out.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/lifecycle - this shows the year in which support ends for both Windows 7 (2020) and Windows 8 (2023). Both are a fair few years away.

So you will be able to continue with your current computers set up until then if everything continues to work for you, so that's a fair way off.

Obviously, any new operating system will have its fans and foes and of course there is always a period at the beginning when glitches are being ironed out after people have upgraded and found the problems. Bearing this in mind, again, sitting tight I think is probably sensible. As other have mentioned there will be service packs within the next few months to address immediate issues. I'm sure plenty of people have upgraded with ease and no problems, but obviously not all. A definite set of issues seems to be emerging in the first days of the rollout where for some there are problems with unable to use webcams, graphics drivers conflicts, antivirus conflicts, slow startup and application hanging as well as inability to turn off computer without doing a hard shutdown (not good for any computer).

When/if you decide to upgrade, I would especially bear in mind that there seems to be a particular problem with HP laptops (which you have as a spare) and Windows 10 - basically it seems the computer will no longer go into sleep mode, and the laptop cannot be turned off causing all sorts of issues. The HP forums and elsewhere have plenty of posts from people who have had lots of problems with their HP lappy and W10.

I'm sticking for Win7, but keeping a close eye on things as I provide computer help to family/friends (some are in 'anything has to be better than W8!' mode and tempted by W10) and there is definitely a trend emerging in the sorts of problems some people are having. No doubt these will be addressed in the months to come.

So I'd suggest sit tight. Others may have other views of course as to the benefits you may get with Windows 10 with their own experience.

Good luck
        GG

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Same here, Sheal, I keep getting reminders popping up asking me when I want to install Windows 10. I keep putting it off and have rescheduled for 5 August as I do like my Windows 7.:heehee::coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,067
            You know, I've just noticed I have this icon down the bottom of my screen.
            If I was to install windows 10, could I still use 8, if I dont like 10?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,612
            It could be that your computer hasn't run all the Microsoft updates @kindredspirit, it's a problem my husband had. You will have to run any updates that are sitting in the background.

If you have Windows 7 go to Control Panel then System and Security. Then follow with Windows Update /Check for Updates and it will tell you if there are any updates that haven't been installed. My husband had 29 and installed them all which took a while. Once done you will eventually receive communication from Microsoft and should have a small white window appear at the bottom right of your screen. This will set you up ready for Windows 10. :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,612
            I don't know the answer to that Pete. I would imagine if you install Windows 10 it will automatically delete 8, whether you could restore 8 I don't know, sorry. According to my son Windows 10 is a lot easier to use than 8 but he says like anything new, you have to give yourself time to get used to it. :)

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
            Ratings:
            +4,586
            Thanks very much, Sheal. Owe you one.

EDIT: Went into Control Panel, then System but no Security section.

Anyway, went into "Windows Updates".

"Yes, tell me about new software" is ticked.
            &
            "You receive updates for Windows & other products from Microsoft Update" is on.
            but I have never received any communication about Windows 10.
            So, went into "Help" and typed in Windows 10. All that came up was stuff about Windows 7, which I have on my computer.

I've been blanked by Seattle! :) :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,899
              Hi @pete You have 1 month to go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 after installing Windows 10. So make sure you make up your mind before the option disappears.:smile:

• Informative Informative x 2
              • Useful Useful x 1
              • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
                "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
                Ratings:
                +4,445
                I like the new task bar set up, have my email accounts linked on it so one click I can read, abbreviated, mail, another click my calendar pops up. Much quicker and easier than before.

• Like Like x 1
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +86,067
                  Does that mean that once you install it, after a month, should you decide to accept it, windows 8 will self destruct?
                  Sounds a bit like mission impossible to me.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,517
                  I haven't got the little icon and my W7 updates automatically. Not sure I want W10 as I can't see any need for other facilities - my computer does what I want it to do.

A friend who has updated said that he's not happy because he plays the Microsoft games and W10 has them but has pop up ads unless you pay not to have them!

Another friend is having trouble with his Nvidia. W10 is say he needs to update it to be fully compatible (he has updated it!) and then gives him a link to where he can update what is needed. When he clicks on the link it doesn't take him anywhere!!

As he's a computer techy he has found it embarrassing :heehee:. He's talking to friends on the professional sites about it.

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +89,899

@pete after my upgrade to Windows 10, what will happen with my previous operating system?

After upgrading your computer will boot into Windows 10 and the old operating system will stay archived inside the Windows.old folder on the installation drive.:phew::heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +86,067
                      Yep, but can you return to the old windows whenever you want to?

Another question, can you run Widows 10 in the same was as I'm running 8, ie in desktop mode.
                      Ok, I'm thick, but I find computers a nightmare, once you change something, you spend the rest of your life trying to get back to where you started.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                      +28,997