Windy's Veg Disaster

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by windy miller, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Oktarine,I have put the site in favourites and have told Mr K,so he can give them a ring tomorrow for a quote,Thanks for that :cool:

Fancy,Our main woodyard where we might have got the gravel boards from has now closed down,and the one in another town wasn't much cheaper than the saw mill we went to,so we have left it for the time being.We desperatly need to do something because each year our crops get noshed by all the rabbits over there or the pigeons...

Love your Cauli's Fancy,We grew some once but found that unless they had loads of water they only got small heads on them.This year would have been ideal with all the rain we are having...

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a common denominator here its called THE WEATHER even the farmers are suffering. We do anyway whatever the weather.

3. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My Pear tree is really doing well this year.

[​IMG]

4. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Crikey, not half. Is it free standing as it seems to be supporting a lovely crop?

TO

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm coming scrumping Fancy they are too tempting I love a nice pear. [​IMG]

6. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hello folks.....i know it`s a bit off topic......but i noticed some talk of raised beds.Can someone please outline the benefits of using raised beds ? cheers....freddy.

8. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Freddy - how much info do you want ?

No digging
    good drainage
    heat retentiion in soil
    easy access

Check my link for bags of info.

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi windy et al, I am joining the blighted group!
    I've just come in from the garden where I've been uprooting and binning blighted tomatoes. I have not binned the ones which look healthy, just cut off all excess leaves and flowers to see if I can get some crop from them! So far I've only had a few ripe ones, they were all just developing.
    The ones in the plastc greenhouse seem OK so far, also the left over plants which I bunged in near the potatoes rather than throw away. Potatos still look healthy as well.
    Next year I don't think I'll bother with any outside tomatoes. :mad:

10. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Thanks for the info oktarine , i`ve looked through your blog and i see you spoke about the soil preparation but this seems to only cover the underbed. It would be useful if you could go into some detail regarding their constuction and how you were able to raise the bed , i mean , was it just a case of scooping up earth from elsewhere ? I`m sure this info is in there somewhere.....i just can`t find it ! with thanks.....freddy

11. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Have a look at this thread:-
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000529;p=1
    I made raised beds rather higher than the general ones as I'm not good at bending but the same principles apply. Usually it's a case of buying in soil or compost to fill the beds. When I was living in Cambs I bought a load of fen soil to fill them and it was excellent fine black stuff, and not expensive. Make sure you don't skimp on the soil as what you grow will reflect the quality of it.
    One other thing- I have seen people using nails to hold their raised beds together. As soil is heavy this isn't a good idea- use screws!

12. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    double post

[ 20. July 2007, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Liz ]

13. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Liz..thanks for the link...good info....cheers....freddy

14. beanie

beanie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    essexescaped most of the bad weather enough rain to make everything very blousey grown some lovely cauli for the first time have got lovely onions but when and how do you harvest these leaves have just started to fall over is this the right time best wishes from beanie

15. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi beanie...from what i know about onions,i`m pretty sure that you should wait til the leaves have turned brown and then pull them up and leave out for a couple of days to dry(some chance!).Of course,you can use them as you need them between now and then. Cheers....freddy