Winter, Car Batteries and NOT getting stung....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,881
    Yours will most likely be in the boot @shiney - under the floor panel.

I nursed mine through the winter, but had increasing gremlins appearing so had no choice but to change the battery out last week. Nice Yuasa one from Tayna for £170 or thereabouts, and bigger too.

I still have the trailing lead fitted to let me plug in my CTek trickle charger to keep the battery in good health, which I will likely plug in this afternoon in fact as the car has sat and not turned a wheel for a week.

Somewhat ironically, the day before I fitted the battery I got a bit of a frantic call from a friend who was sat in a Tesco car park in his Range Rover about thirty miles away - he had been sat listening to the radio whilst his wife was in shopping and then the radio went off, and he said that the key would then do nothing. He even went to a Halfords and bought new batteries for the key and disconnected the car battery for a while, and still nothing -- he thought it was immobiliser. I thought battery, but he was insistent that it couldn't be as it had a green indicator on the top of the battery itself. I pinched a set of jump leads from my neighbour, popped the new battery in the boot and took my meter and off I went. Checking his battery with the meter - 8.4v - silly sod had flattened it. Quick jump off the new battery and off he went. Total recovery cost £0

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,429
      Thanks.

How do you open the boot and what's a floor panel? :whistle: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
        Ratings:
        +1,138
        @Fat Controller

/Irony on

When you see the low battery sign, it is advisable to switch on all electrical users in the car to heat up the battery and create a steady flow of electricity. This will help starting your car.
        :dbgrtmb:
        /Irony off

In all seriousness, a radio shouldn't be the cause for a dead battery. He probably had the AC and the full entertainment system running while the car was on low battery from repeated short trips to the supermarket (again with full AC blowing), so the car never had a chance to recharge while simultaneously draining power.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +51,881
        Nah, I reckon it was much simpler than that - old car, old battery and it stood quite a lot over the course of the past year due to 'Rona. I think him using the battery for the radio simply tipped it over the edge from being able to turn the engine over to not being able to turn it at all. He even commented that the car started so much faster on the jump leads than it normally does, which suggested to me that the battery must have been on its last legs anyway - I've put him in touch with Tayna to get a new battery.

• Like Like x 1