winter hanging baskets

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bettyblue, Aug 23, 2006.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    fancy will make a note of all of them,as my balcony is pretty bare looking in the winter when all the leaves drop off my climbers.

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    if you start now it will be ready for hanging up. lots of end of season plants and pansies which are quite cheap at this time.

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hubby is away off-shore next tuesday so i am planning maybe on the wednsday going up to the garden centre.goody goody :D

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    How about a Christmas basket with ivies, red berried skimmia, and little variegated green and white euonymus- could have white or red pansies too. Seem to remember someone else suggesting this in another thread....
    My summer baskets are still doing really well, so I won't be able to plant winter ones till Sept. Autumn crocus always look good too.

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    that sounds lovely liz will have plenty to go on thanks

6. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Lots of great ideas going on here - a right fine education for me!

Fancy, that sounds like you've got a garden going on in your hanging baskets, and a lovely garden too! I wish I could see the outcome!

Kind regards
    Roy

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    fancy, piccies please lets all see what you have been doing [​IMG]

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    been sorting some plants out in my baskets getting rid of old plants, got quite a few winter pansies and a winter green plant with red berries on it and also silver leaved plants, going to get a few more to fill them up, its looking better already just hope they will be fine when we get the harsh winds here on this balcony that will be the real testing time of their survival

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    [​IMG]

just put these in, a wintergreen gaultheria

Dipladenia this is ideal for containers on a patio or balcony for climbing up trellises

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    [​IMG]

put this pretty coloured heather in my hanging basket

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    [​IMG]

this is the other hanging basket going to the garden centre to look for something winter trailing to finish them off, come on were are your pics

13. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Yes, Rosa, it's the same Dipladena/Mandevilla as mine ... or would be if mine were doing anything! :D :D :D It is the most uncommon of them, normally they are just pink.

The Gaultheria is really lovely. I'd like to try it again here.

I see you have the some torch as us! [​IMG] I've also got lots of wind chimes.

By the way, not sure I told you, I did go and buy a trendy ZZ plant! :D Guess that's called "keeping us with Rosa"! :D :D :rolleyes:

14. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Rosa,your hanging baskets are looking fantastic.We used to have some outside of our bungalow for years,but felt it was too much for the neighbours to look after along with the greenhouse while we went away on our holidays,so gave up with them in the end.Yours will look fantastic throughout the winter months.xxx

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    lol they are lovely plants dipladenia first time i,ve seen them and went out and one of the flowers has fell off, hope that is not a bad sign.
    well well you got your trndy zz at last arent they lovely, mine is doing great really pleased with it. um um keeping up with bananaman he started it, did you get yours as cheap as ours.