Winter sowing?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Auntpol, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Auntpol

Auntpol Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Madahhlia,
    Grrr another post email that went to spam!
    Thanks for that info. I have been reading up and there are so many differing opinions.

An RHS book I bought on propogation reckons most seeds (but not all) will germinate at a minimum temperature of 7 degrees, so I think that waiting till general temperatures reach 7 degrees would be prudent.

I think my mistake has been in generalising and what I really need to do research the individual seeds that I want to sow and find out specifically about them as individual species. So thats the task I am going to set myself for the next week or so.

What would be fantastic would be a forum with posts for specific seeds etc., then I could post my research for others to see and make use of and maybe others could post their knowledge too.

As this is my first ever year of sowing (except for some canterbury bells that I sowed last year - and doing brilliantly) I am also going to keep a diary of what happens with each pack of seeds that I sow in order to build up my knowledge base.

• Like Like x 1
    • Auntpol

Auntpol Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      My first bit of research found this ...

In the UK February has an average temperature of 6 degrees reaching 7 in the very southerly areas.

In the UK March has average temperature of 7 (most northerly) to 10 degrees (most southerly).

In the UK April has average temperatures of 10 to 14 degrees

Going by the 'average temperatures' febuary would be too early but march would be ok and April would be a 'good to go' month.

There is an online application here that allows you to check 'average temperatures on a weekly / monthly bases http://www.weather-months.com/may/uk/england-in-may.html

Just click on the first and last dates that you want to know about and the map will show average temperatures.

• Auntpol

Auntpol Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      • Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,890
        We learn something new every day Auntpol, particularly in the world of gardening. :)