1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Sun Destinations Recommendations - Canaries?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Oct 11, 2017.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Me and Mrs JWK would like a sunshine break this winter, not too far from the UK. We started thinking about the Canary Islands. Anyone been and where would you recommend?

We like being close to the sea and away from any nightclubby type areas.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,527
    There's also Madeira - a little further and a bit more expensive, better sights to see. Feb 7th-14th is their Carnival.

Carnival Parade on the 10th, Slapstick Parade on the 13th and other happenings throughout the week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      This is the view from the bar area in Taurito Princess in 2012, we stayed all inclusive. There's a water park in the middle of the complex, very few shops (which is a good thing I think) but might have changed. Not far from Puerto Mogan (big market) and Puerto Rico (where the nightclubs are)
      Screenshot_20171011-132228.png

Just checked reviews on google and it still looks/sounds good.

Fuertaventura is quite nice and there are some great volcano tours but the last time I went was just over 14 years ago. Lanzarote is a bit of a dive IMO, again I went about 15 years ago. Things might have changed.

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,527
        I think that Titan Travel do a door to door service and have inclusive excursions etc. Only possible problem is that they would normally use Monarch to get to Madeira :rolleyespink:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +46,193
          Thanks for the idea @shiney that was very useful. We hadn't considered Madeira before so decided to book a break there, starting to look forward to it already. We happened to mention it to a friend at the weekend and it is her favourite holiday destination so we already have loads of tips.

@Linz it looks great in the Canaries too, it's now on our list to visit sometime - thanks for photo and recommendations.

• Like Like x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            John we have been going to Los Cristianos , Tenerife for the last 5 years in October . My friend goes in January. Los Cristianos is a ferry port to the western Canary isles . Its a family / old folks resort . The rave clubs and foam parties are in Las Americas a few miles away if thats what you want :snorky: Los Cristianos is built around the old town full of little streets restaurants and duty free designer shops. The promenade opposite the port is full of restaurants. Most of the hotels are behind the town up a hill . The only ones I know on the seafront are the Arona and the H10 Big Sur where we stay.
            Puerto Mogan on Gran Canaria , mentioned by Linz is a very pretty smallish resort.

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,193
              Thanks Harry, I like the sound of the "old folks resort" that's us :)
              I wonder what the weather is like in January when you friend goes there?
              What time of year do you visit @Harry and how hot does it get ?
              Just googled H10 Big Sur - that looks very posh I guess you're used to luxury coming from Wigan though :)

• Like Like x 1
              • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                Ratings:
                +28,533
                Madeira is great @JWK particularly for exotic lovers, we have only been in August but we will go one day in Winter or Spring but there is something to see all year. It is normally more cloudy than the Canaries.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +46,193
                  Another question, as we are inexperienced travelers how do you folks normally book holidays?

Look for the best deal on-line or go to a Travel Agent?

I am asking because I visited a Travel Agent last week and all they did was go online or phone up for deals, when I had a questions she was just googling the answer or reading from the brochure. I couldn't see any advantage of using a Travel Agent, maybe I am missing something.

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,527
                  @JWK Hi John, I'm sure that you can get info from the 'net' and your friend but if you want to know anything then I'd be only too happy to answer.

If you like walking (I'm sure you do) then there are loads of Levadas to walk along. Some would need a guide and a lot need transport to get there (lots of places advertising Levada walks). There's an easy one you can do without need to book anything (if you're in or near Funchal). It's an interesting 25 minute bus ride from the centre of town. I can give you the exact details of where to catch it, what number bus it is and where to get off etc.

Also, in the old part of town there's a narrow road with loads of good restaurants (not expensive) and it's now also well known for having most of the doorways painted.

P1320746.JPG

P1320758.JPG

P1320753.JPG

This is a clever one

P1320745.JPG

P1320446.JPG

Re booking:-
                  It depends on what type of holiday you're going for to how you book it. I tend to do my research myself (happy to give hints) but generally book it through a local travel agent that I know. It also depends on whether they want to charge for you using a credit card (a lot do, but it will be made illegal next year).

The type of hotel also makes a difference. We sometimes go to a more expensive hotel where it's always better to book direct with the hotel. They are cheaper that way, include airport transfers, a few evening meals, an afternoon tea (they're well known for their teas) and something towards the cost of their spa. I might be able to get you an extra discount - but not sure. You would have to book your own flights.

I also mentioned Titan Travel. They're an independent tour operator (now own Saga as well) that do everything for you. Normally a good hotel B&B (will try to flog you half board but don't have it as restaurants are quite cheap), include excursions, flights, transport from your house to the airport and home again (no matter how far you live from the airport and they have their own fleet of vehicles).

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +16,246
                    @JWK , just got back. We go in early October . Temps are approx 25°c during the day and 20°c at night. So you can eat outside for dinner, but make sure your room has air con . My friend says it is "nice and warm" in January , not sure of exact temps. The resort faces south west so gets the sun.
                    If you are not experienced on booking travel , I would book a package holiday. Research it on line then use a good travel agent. Always check the hotel location on google so you are not half way up a mountain. And check reviews on Tripadvisor , you do need to read between the lines on the reviews. My favourite review was " It was too hot , and everybody spoke foreign ! " , this was for a hotel in Turkey !:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +46,193
                      @shiney Thanks for the very informative post, I love those painted doorways, we will definitely find those, it's just the sort of place we enjoy. We only ever book B&B as we enjoy eating local food wherever we go. The hotel we booked is close to Funchal old town as we plan to spend a lot of time there ambling about and watching the world go by.

We might attempt an easy Levada, depends on how Mrs JWK is feeling as she is getting over an op and is not 100% just now. We normally walk lots on holidays, like coastal walks in the UK so are used to gentle slopes etc.

We plan to use the hop on/off bus to begin with to get our bearings.

You obviously have a good relationship with your Travel Agent, next time I try another one. Maybe I was unlucky this time - the lady was trying to help but it was a bit chaotic in the shop with other customers milling about and what seemed to be a trainee distracting her.

@HarryS that's very useful information about the weather, sounds ideal at this time of year.

Thanks also for the tip of using Travel Agents - we did eventually book a package holiday, we wanted peace of mind that everything was covered by ATOL given the recent airline shambles with RyanAir and Monarch going bust.

I know what you mean about the Tripadvisor reviews, I've been reading a lot of them recently, generally they are helpful but a few slated the Hotel we booked, even though they weren't guests there, just rated it on looks from the outside. As for "everybody spoke foreign" :) I will practice my Portuguese which is currently non-existent so at least I can order a beer and cake.

• shiney

Ratings:
                      +118,527
                      @JWK I'm sure your hotel will be OK. They should also be able to give you advice on things to do. If going on some guided tours around the island (there are usually two full day tours - East and West sides - and one half day tour to the Valley of the Nuns) do a bit of shopping around for the excursions. There are loads of street booths selling them. Some are quite a bit more expensive than others and they're all fairly similar.

The street with the restaurants and painted doors is Rua De Santa Maria. It's easy to find as it runs parallel to the sea front promenade and at the Eastern end. That's where the cable car is and the flower and fruit market (and smelly fish market) is set further back on a road at right angles to the promenade. When facing the entrance to the market there is a road that runs down the right hand side of the market (Rua Latino) and Santa Maria is parallel to that but the next road towards the promenade.

The Levada dos Tornos is a flat walk of only 3 miles and you will be way above the town with views down to the town and sea. Ignore anything you may read on the net about the Levada because the 3 mile section (just a part of the full walk) is easy. They normally say to start it at Monte (the cable car goes up to the Palace and Gardens at Monte) but you don't want to do that. You take the 29 bus to Curral dos Romeiros (end of the bus route), walk the three miles to the Hortensia Tea House and gardens and catch a bus back down into town from there. If you want to do it I can give you more details, and where to find the buses. You can probably look up the Hortensia and the walk.

I'm not sure whether you can buy tickets on the bus any more. You would need to check that out.

All along the front and the old town is fairly flat but the town can be quite hilly.

If you want to do all your usual research and then ask me questions I shall be happy to answer them if I can. I've been going there since 1962 (used to go there every two months when I worked on the ships) and was last there for the Festival in February.

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +28,533
                        There are many 'gardens' on Madeira, the Botanical gardens are the most well known but imho not the best. There are nice gardens in Funchal, one right in the centre and the Santa Catarina gardens with a fountain at the west end of Funchal is a peaceful place to sit, La Palmeira gardens and the slightly more commercial Jardim Tropical and others.
                        All subtropical, and everywhere we sat we seemed to be surrounded by the small endemic Madeiran Wall Lizards.

Most of Madeira is hilly and walking can be tiring but easier in Winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • JWK

Ratings:
                          +46,193
                          Thank you again @shiney and @strongylodon - it's all very useful information.

Blimey! That is a great recommendation.

• Friendly Friendly x 1