Wire trellis (wip)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Javidr, Apr 7, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,438
    I agree - that isn't right for a Wisteria. Planting it in the middle of the wall would be better, and I'd agree- remove the trellis [and it is trellis!] and use wires, securely attached to the wall. I'm not sure your wall is long enough though, but only you can tell as we can't see the whole spread. :smile:

I'm not sure how you intend training your other climbers on those wires on the fence either. I don't think that will be easy if you're tying them into those triangles. A lot of work, and constant attention IMO. I hope the fence is sturdy!

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,551
    • Like Like x 3
    • Javidr

Javidr Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      The wall is like 4 meters long. I don’t want a massive wisteria, whatever it can cover that would be good

I can’t plant it in the middle of the wall as there’s no soil there, that’s why I need to put it in that place (soil ends there)

as per the other climbers, let’s see how it develops

the fence is not particularly sturdy, but it was holding the big honeysuckle nicely so I assume it would support the new climbers there too

last question.. clematis. I have bought 5 different colour clematis. If I plant all of them together, would they nicely get mixed and make a rainbow, or would they fight each other and that won’t make a nice display?

thanks

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,438
      No - that simply won't work with the clematis. They need room, and they need appropraite care - they don't all like the same conditions or pruning.

• Like Like x 1
      • Javidr

Javidr Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        Great, thanks.

Last question as you worried me a bit with the fence question… how should I check the fence is coping well with the weight of the climbers?

also, I have read wisteria roots will grown down and won’t expand to the sides, is there any chance they would damage the fence? Those are like 25cm away from the fence

thanks

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,438
        I don't grow Wisteria, so can't help with those.
        You won't really be able to tell if the fence is sturdy enough, other than giving it a shove. If the posts are concreted in, they can eventually rot, depending on the quality and how much wet soil is up against them.
        Solid fences can also act like a sail if they have no gaps and if the site's windy. That's the main problems we have round here, becaus eof our climate. Most fences should last a couple of decades if they're good quality, but excess moisture and poorer quality timber can shorten that.