1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Work in progress

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by martin-f, Mar 15, 2015.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Spookily, this morning, my local radio station (BBC Kent) discussed this! Here's a link (around 9 minutes into the programme). No specific heater was recommended, but, for the sake of 1 minute of listening, it will give you some thoughts on the matter. Hope this link works: 14/05/2017, Sunday Gardening - BBC Radio Kent around the 09:00 mark :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
      +10,302
      Thank you M, link works :) just listening through it now started it at 8.30 chap talking with a 200ft greenhouse the big head :rasp::snork:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • martin-f

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Updating this thread,

Top half of the garden that looked like this last year
        IMG_1279.JPG

Now looks like this,
        IMG_4244.JPG IMG_4245.JPG IMG_4246.JPG IMG_4247.JPG IMG_4248.JPG IMG_4249.JPG

I now have a large satellite dish installed and had to work round it, its created a few more border and split the garden,

I kind of like it split in different little sections, it gives me good ideas for the future, still work in progress, plenty of ideas in mind :).

• Like Like x 2
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Crikey, how it has evolved from those very first photo's - and it has evolved beautifully!! Bravo on all your hard work! :yay:

My kind of gardening: sections! I think they add interest and keep the mind alert to "what is in this section?"

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • martin-f

Ratings:
            +10,302
            Thank you M, Its not ideal having a 8ft satellite dish in the garden but its my hobby and I'm trying to make it look nice round it the best I can, I'm quite pleased how things are going but still have lots to do,

IMG_4248.JPG

The little section above, to the right new border, I have wild flowers Bee/Butterfly for this year, the left border just starting to come through are California poppies and nasturtiums

Right blue barrel Bamboo everlasting pea and sunflowers, left blue barrel Pampas grass the pink one when it flowers in a few years time, a few sunflowers and nasturtiums,

Where the small bit of paving is at the back of the barrels will be a little garden pond,

IMG_4246.JPG

This side, blue barrels bamboo everlasting pea sunflowers, right border wild flowers, blue barrel centre rhubarb,

Left border/round bird bath and top is nasturtiums and California poppies, I was getting fed up with pansies lol,

Unsure how it will look in flower but I think it will look ok, if nothing else the butterfly's and bees will like it :-).

• Like Like x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Looking good Martin - possibly the only "Boutique" greenhouse on GC :biggrin:
              I put an electric heater in my GH this year . I use a thermostatic switch which comes on at 7°c. Not 100% confident in the one I have but others on here are using a more industrial type - the name escapes me . @fat controller will have the name .
              For heating I use an oil filled radiator from Screwfix , works fine , but waterproof is another question. I only heat the GH from moving the seedlings in late March until mid May.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,577
                Thanks for the tag @HarryS :)

I have one myself - it is an Inkbird ITC-308 - cracking bit of kit, really well made and able to run heating and cooling at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
                • Informative Informative x 2
                • martin-f

Ratings:
                  +10,302
                  Hi Harry, thank you for the information,

Ive been thinking more about heating and I think a hot air blowing system would be best for my needs, its my first greenhouse and I like the idea of being able to walk in with the hose pipe and give it a good spray inside,

The greenhouse is attached to a building where the fan/electric's can live so it would just need a pipe through the wall, the heating fan could be raised so any water that did get in the pipe wasn't near the electrics,

Thank you FC that looks ideal, I will have a google see if I can find a fan that's blows hot air that excepts a pipe.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,577
                    @martin-f - the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be a portable air conditioner with heater inbuilt, but even that would only have one side of the fan (the exhaust) through a pipe.

• Like Like x 2
                    • martin-f

Ratings:
                      +10,302
                      Thank you FC, after a quick google it would be quite easy to DIY something, some type of sealed box indoors with a heater in it ducted to the GH, I like tinkering with things, will see what I can come up with.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                        Ratings:
                        +49,577
                        Take a look at some shop fitting stuff - a lot of those have forced air systems that heat via ducts in the suspended ceilings - they are essentially a metal box with a filter, heating element and a fan that draws the air through both the prior stages; bear in mind safety though - the fan needs to continue to run for some time after the heating element is shut down, must run continuously whilst the element switches on and off to heat the air, and I would make doubly sure that the heat stage is fused separately to the fan stage, with an overall thermal cut-out also incorporated.

• Like Like x 1
                        • martin-f

Ratings:
                          +10,302
                          Thanks FC I will have a read up, I did a few days work with a chap doing suspended ceilings a few years ago when my work was quiet, I can recall the item you describe, will have a google see if they do a mini version,

Thank you for the heads up on safety, I will make sure everything is how it should be if I go gown the DIY route,

At the moment I could do with cooling it down :frown: I cant really block anymore light, I will have to get more ventilation another roof window and a louver window.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                            Ratings:
                            +49,577
                            What about one of these fellows - with roof windows open, you could either use it to blow cooler air in, or to blow the warmer air out?

If you hit any questions when you get to assembling something, in terms of electrics at least, feel free to drop me a PM. @ARMANDII is also very knowledgable when it comes to electrical installations.

I would say, if you bear the following in mind, you should do fine:

- Make sure that all metal housings are properly earthed
                            - Use IP66 rated junction boxes for any connections, and oversize any connector blocks and cabling (best to over-specify to some degree, rather than have a meltdown)
                            - Use quality materials (I would recommend MK stuff by default, and Wago connectors make for a nice clean, safe job.
                            - Fuse each component separately
                            - Design it so that it fails 'safe' even if the failure is operator error - having the fan run on independently of the heating element after the element is switched off, and some sort of interlock (relay maybe?) that will not allow the heating element to come on if the fan is not blowing.
                            - Also remember, that any permanent installation has now legally got to be certified by someone Part P qualified; not all electricians are willing to certify work that they haven't done themselves, so bear this (and the associated cost) in mind.
                            - Depending on the volume of air being drawn in, you might also have to consider an exhaust side too.

You might find that this is complete overkill for a greenhouse to be fair - you may well be better off with a 3kw oil filled radiator, a good fan, an extra roof vent and one of those Inkbird units as a thermostat - it would certainly be a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • martin-f

Ratings:
                              +10,302
                              Thanks again FC, I work in the building trade and quite clued up, but if I get stuck I will give you a shout :),

I will consider all options in the coming weeks, like you say I could really do with a hot and cold system, south facing is good most of the time but not on a hot day, in the greenhouse I saw the thermometer stuck at 40 as high as it would go last year with the door and window open.

• Like Like x 2
                              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +31,885
                                Ok? Blimey! It's looking good *now* ... when its all in flower it will look wonderful :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1