Working class/middle class gardening...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Stingo, May 12, 2007.

1. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder whether they would have this type of discussion in any other country? Are we quite unique in being able to apply class to everything?

Take care

Paul

2. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    RIGHT!! The point is that for most of history the ones who CARE about the plants and nurture them are not always the same as those who PROFIT from them and show them off...
    And Latin IS useful for a gardener, knowing the botanical names...some of which ALSO reveal the CLASS and COLONIALIST history of gardening....
    er, shall I shut up?

3. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think if I ever do write a follow-up to Hoyle's book, I shall investigate this question!

4. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine it would make an interesting book!

I have been fascinated by Genealogy for some time and I know that one of my ancestors, at one point, was a Head Gardener at one of the big houses here in the NW. It's been one of those things that I have been thinking about writing about - Gardeners to the Aristocracy.

Take care

Paul

5. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Wow this subject has certainly got people talking...I'm a very much get down and dirty gardener and can't imagine what fun there is in just designing and taking a step back while others do the work.

In my opinion it is about your own plot albeit large or small where you can lose yourself, relax and plan what to put where, what to change etc.

6. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I remember as a child my Grandmother proudly showing me photographs of her Father who was head gardener for some Laird up in Scotland.She always spoke of the Laird with the utmost respect.
    By this time,her husband, my Grandfather whom i never really knew,was already dead,but she explained that the house she was living in was,rent free,as my Grandfather worked for Lord Barnard at the saw-mill most of his life, and wasn`t it wonderful and how greatful we should be that Lord Barnard did this for her.????
    What else was he gonna do? Evict her!
    .Having heard as a child and remembering the respect in my Grandmother`s voice when she spoke of the so called upper class,our betters she called them,and having met a few of them in my own time,i must admit,it gets my blood boiling.
    Treating people with respect doesn`t always guarrantee you the same accord.

7. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Never been a member, Not ever likely to be a member, [​IMG] wouldn't benefit from any of the 'member discounts' But I do have an acre of woodland. Would that be any good. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I'm envious Compostee,an Acre of woodland,now that is something I would buy if I had the money [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Me too, never likely to though.
    There's not many members discounts available compostee, it is a CHARITY after all.

10. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The title was Working class/middle class gardening. Living on a relatively modern estate which is middle class I wonder if middle class gardening is having a front lawn with the regulation tree in the middle which some of them prune to a lollipop tree? One of my neighbours has a Prunus Kanzan which he lops the branches off half way - Phillistine!!!
    On the council estate there is one spreading all over the place , looks gorgeous in spring.
    Watching Gardeners World and doing whats in fashion or getting the plants in vogue? Anyone for decking or painting the fence blue? Sorry thats so last year.
    Mind you makes me a bit of money. I keep an eye on whats the latest in vogue and if I can grow it it flies off the plant stall.
    I think the middle class are into cottage gardens at present, which suits me cause perennials are my forte. I sell most of my plants to middle class ladies and I am sure it is not just my chat. I concentrate on unusual plants and I they are my target audience.

11. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Kandyfloss and pete, please don't be too envious. We have found since moving in, that the previous tenants goats have ring barked alot of the trees and killed them off.
    About 20yrs ago, a previous owner got a grant and had loads of saplings planted on an acre. The woods are therefore not mature, it's over full of ash, silver birch, alder, and sorbus but unfortunately the oaks are not surviving, and there is definately a lack of wildlife. But my ducks love the shade, and having a good wander through it.

12. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The title IS Working class/middle class gardening and muck`s muck,doesn`t matter which side of the fence you are.But if you sit on the fence, you get shot from both sides. [​IMG] I apologise for getting my knickers in a knot.It`s just the people who actually believe and consider themselves to be of a certain class who make me angry.We all breath the same air and end up in the same soil. :rolleyes: [​IMG]

13. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    That is a shame Compostee.I think I like woods because I played in a lot of them when I was a child,so have a great fondness for trees and wood.
    It is a shame when they have been destroyed and not managed properly.There is a wood outside our village that was given to one of the other villages,many years ago.The Poor of this village was given permission to go and collect fallen trees for their fires,but over the years the wood has just become a mass of fallen trees and branches.There is even a small pond in there.It desperatly needs something doing to it,by way of clearing it and proper management,but nobody is interested from the other village so it falls more and more into decay which is such a shame

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I wish they would leave woods alone around here Kandy, the small piece of woods where I have been walking the dog for years is now in the process of being tidied up and are going to be "maintained" by the developer who is building nearby.
    I guess that means dogs on a lead and keep off the grass signs.

15. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The same thing happened to the woods near my folks, Pete - we were all a bit worried, but to be honest they did a great job, the trees were getting too crowded and they just thinned them out, giving more room for the remaining trees to grow into and making sure it didn't get too dark at floor level - which I guess would've done for the lovely carpet of bluebells which are still flourishing.
    I hope that your woods are treated as sympathetically.